Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 12-02-2020 08:35 PM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
MonkeyM1nd
Apprentice
Options
Ohh right. Sorry. Optical seems to always be an output option on the q80r tv sound settings. And d.in is the input on the sound bar. There is an offset under expert settings on the tv. Assuming that ain't enough?
I also recall something about sync issues with the q90r soundbar itself... not sure it is the tv.. anyway not gong to be much help now sorry
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options
Guys, if you haven't yet, please sign this petition to bring earc to the q series soundbars:

http://chng.it/KsLdwk54bz
0 Likes
Razr
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with q90 tv, q90 soundbar, and Panasonic ub820.  Today was worse until I power cycled everything.  Usually the main problem is not recognizing tv arc.  Today the sound would cut out for a split second while on "WiFi" and watching a movie.   At least WiFi, never did that before.  Did ne1 figure a better way than power cycling everything?

0 Likes
alexkbh
First Poster
Options

I  am facing the problem

0 Likes
PaulMarlow
Student
Options

I have exactly the same problem.

It pretty staggering that the 2019 flagship tv and soundbar have these problems.

Lets park up the 820 just for now.

Current set up for the soundbar is Sky Q into HDMI 1, 820 AUDIO out into HDMI 2 and ARC return to one connect box.

I then have the PS4 pro in to HDMI 4 on One Connect, ARC from soundbar to HDMI 3 is fed with the Audio/Visual out from the 820.

Things work OK (ish) when I dont go near the 820.

i have found the system is pretty stable when switching between Sky Q and the PS4 pro, but the only way I can do that is by ensuring I turn off either the Sky Q or PS4 before switiching sources. Its pretty remarkable that you have to do that, although its not a bad disclipline to undertake for the kids!!! If you dont turn off either device I am normally faced with the blue screen of death as we now call it in the house where you get sound but no visuals and the icon in the middle of the screen.

Sky Q has to be plugged into the soundbar or you get the lip sync issues and of course atmos on appropriate films. The 820 for the same reason.

As soon as I watch a film on the 820 and then return to play the PS4 then I lose the ARC connection completely, the soundbar doesnt switch on and I only have sound through the TV.

The only work around is to reset the system is to unplug from the mains, wait for a couple of mins, pull the HDMIs from all ports and then connect back up again.

I originally purchased a Q85 and that exhibited all the same issues, so I though I had a dud TV, and took the decision that I would upgrade as there was a good deal on the Q90R Tv.

I wish I had just gone with an LG C9 or B9 now, and after many years with Samsung I will never be going back unless they read this and offer me a 2020 upgrade, nut lets be honest that isnt going to happen.

I have spent hours onto the customer support with no resolution, have writted to the CEO yesterday, and quite frankly perplexed that they release the EARC update for the Soundbar, and not the TV....................

It makes you wonder what planet they are on when there are clearly issues with compatibility yet if you purchased an LG, Sony EARC TV etc to go with your soundbar, you are sat there pretty happy in the world.

SORT IT OUT SAMSUNG

thutch
Navigator
Options
At the moment, I feel they are in a bit of a mess with a few things. eARC support is one of them!
0 Likes
Adartsson
Apprentice
Options

I have the exact same issues on my q80r and hw-q80r setup. Still no solution? Lipsync issue when tvbox connected to the tv and power up issue when connected to the soundbar 

0 Likes
TempO1
First Poster
Options

Q90R TV and HWQ90 Soundbar.

One thing I have found that works for me instead of unplugging and having to pull hdmi cables is to disable AnyNet+ on the soundbar and then enable it again. Sometimes I need to do it a couple of times or turn the soundbar off and on then try it again.

To disable AnyNet on the soundbar hold down the right directional on the soundbar remote until you see OFF - AnyNet + displayed on the soundbar. Then repeat the above to turn AnyNet+ back on and it will display ON - ANyNet+ on the soundbar. This has been working for me but like I said sometimes I have to try a couple of times and I am in North America; not sure if that makes a difference on the remote functionality.

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi All,

I have received notification from Samsung UK Presidents Office of an eARC update for 2019 model TVs, see below:

I have been continuing to monitor this with our Head Office and HQ Team and thus wanted to share with you that we have received notification that they expect to be in a position to release an OTN update for your model in May in respect of the awaited e-ARC.

I unfortunately don’t have an exact date but hopefully this will be some positive news for you.

This is the first time that they have advised a timeframe to me in the last 15 months so watch this space.