Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R TV and Q90R soundbar not working correctly with ARC

(Topic created on: 23-12-2019 01:47 PM)
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I have the TV and soundbar of the same name - Q90R. Presumably they are designed to work together...

If if I connect my 2 HDMI sources to the soundbar and use the HDMI ARC to connect to the TV, everything works fine except that my TV remote will switch the TV and soundbar off. However, if I switch the TV on with the TV remote, the soundbar does not switch on. Why would it switch off but not on?  This is how you are advised to set it up in the manual. 

Everything is enabled on Anynet+ CEC and the universal remotes also set up. Volume controls also work from TV remote. Just not switching on both devices together.  I also sometimes have to switch the source off/on to have it recognised.  The only way to switch on the soundbar is with its own remote. 

Interestingly, if I move my 2 HDMI sources to connect to the TV and not the soundbar, the TV remote will switch both devices on AND off and works perfectly in this regard. However, then I get unreaolveable lip sync issues and don’t even get me started on that!

Any ideas (or fixes - Samsung) gratefully received. 

148 REPLIES 148
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

@m-oc.  Thanks for your reply.  May I ask where you're located please?

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I'm in the UK. CEO office advised me to return to retailer. 

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Thanks, I Purchased mine in October from Currys/PC World.  How long did you have your products before you returned them? 

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I had them a few months but via Richer Sounds. 

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options
Around 5 months
0 Likes
Bulvine
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same issue with my Q90 TV and Q80 soundbar.  I have connected ARC HDMI, Bluetooth, WiFi, Optical and its delayed on all.  I swithc to PCM and it is synced but the sound quality is gone.  Samsung support said the SoundBard was defective.  I returned it and got another and have the same issue.  I hooked it up to my older Samsung Plasma with 2.1 DTS and it worked fine.  THe issue seems to the the connection box connect via the thin cable to the TV.   If I connect devices directly to the sound bar everything is synced.  Only when connected to the connection box of the TV that the delay occure with anything other than PCM.  I'm thinking now that I may need to choose another brand of TV if this cant be resolved.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

We had a Q90 Tv and a Q70 sound bar delviered last week.  Got it set up and all seemed to work okay.  Used an opticla cable for connecting toi sound bar.  However every now and then the sound would drop out.  Then at times the Tv would change back to the TV speakers.  I removed the optical cable and plugged in the HDMI Arc connection.  No issue with sound for about 2 days and suddenly sound disappeared.  Connecte dinto other HDMI ports and no issue with sound.  Contacted Samsung and went throuhg diagnosis with their representative who eventually agreed that the sound bar was faulty and needed to be returned to retailer.   Unfortunately could not do an exchange as retailer did nto expect any mroe stock of Q70 for a couple of weeks and woudl issue a refund.  Annoying as paid £549 for the Q70 and now the price has risen to £649 up to £799!  Have got a bit of a discount for one from Richer Sounds so ordered another Q70.  Would like Q90 but just to expensive for us.

0 Likes
KEHJ
First Poster
Options

I was very worried about buying the Samsung Q90R TV and Q90R Sound bar combo after reviewing these threads.....however as I wanted a 75" TV, my budget wouldn't stretch to the 77" LG C9 so I took the plunge.

Anyway, I'm really chuffed with the Samsung set up. The TV is used in a bright room opposite a large window and the reflections are kept to a minimum due to the special coating and high screen brightness, a concern with the LG sets. The Sound is great too. I mainly use the TV Netflix app (ARC to soundbar) and Sky Q (linked via the soundbar to avoid lip sync issues). Dolby Atmos works well for a simple out of the box solution and a huge improvement over 5.1. All in all an excellent set up.

0 Likes
David1987
First Poster
Options

You seem to be in a minority... my 65 inch q90r and q90r soundbar arrived yesterday... everything works fine on wifi but to get Atmos you need HDMI.

Firstly I have two devices, set top box and android box so i connect the bar via hdmi out arc to the one connect then the two devices via the other hdmi cables...

I have set the universal remote to all devices....

Problems

1. When I try to watch Netflix app on TV I get NO sound via the arc hdmi.

2. Both devices work via their respective hdmi ports but the source button on the universal remote wont toggle between them. I need to use the soundbar remote or smarthings app.

Iv read everything and tried all suggestions..  nothing works. For the price, it should all work seamless in my opinion.

I will be logging the issue with Samsung and if it cant be sorted I will be returning both tv and soundbar 

0 Likes
alive1shot
First Poster
Options

Just now joining this thread because I have the Q90 82" paired with the HW-Q90R sound bar. Just got the sound bar set up about a week ago.

Everything was working okay up until this morning when it's no longer detecting the HDMI ARC connection. I'm going through a firmware update via the SmartThings app. I'll report back if this solves anything.

Right now I'm just using the Bluetooth connection to get sound from the sound bar, but that's not a long-term solution that I'm okay with considering the price.

0 Likes