Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q90R - G-sync does not work with HDMI4 port - 4k/120hz g-sync not working

(Topic created on: 28-06-2021 09:16 PM)
Kansilehti
Apprentice
Options

G-sync stopped working with Samsung Q90R's HDMI4 port when I upgraded to a Nvidia RTX 3080 gpu (It has two HDMI 2.1 ports).

I previously had a RTX 2070S (it has a HDMI 2.0 port) and was using Q90R's HDMI4 port + G-sync and it worked perfectly with 1440p/120hz and 4k/60hz. Q90R firmware was 1372.2.

Now with RTX 3080 I can set Q90R TV's resolution to 4k/120hz 4:2:0 (input signal plus, game mode and freesync ultimate enabled). This was on firmware 1372.2.

However when I enable G-sync and run the Nvidia Pendelum demo (or games) the TV's screen turns black and it loses the signal. G-sync enabled I've tried the pendelum demo at 4k/120hz 4:2:0, 4k/60hz RGB, 1440p/120hz RGB. All of these end up in a black screen when running the pendelum demo using HDMI4 port.

If I connect the same HDMI cable from RTX 3080 to Q90R's HDMI2 port then G-sync works at 4k/60hz RGB and 1440p/120hz RGB.

So I can't get G-sync to work at all through HDMI4 port anymore. Any ideas what could be the culprit?

I updated Q90R's firmware to 1374 from Samsung website. This did not fix the issue.

I have tried with 2 different HDMI 2.1 cables and the result is the same:
Club 3d Ultra High Speed HDMI 4K120Hz, 8K60Hz Certified Cable 48Gbps 1.5 m/4.92 ft
Hama Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable, 8K, 3.0 m

22 REPLIES 22
Ju7ez
Apprentice
Options

Think I figured it out - had to turn HDR off to get 120 hz to show in windows. But then I turned HDR back on and 120hz still worked. Almost like I had to give it a kick - very strange. So now I have 4K/120hz HDR / Input Signal Plus and Freesync Ultimate on. Desktop takes a bit longer to show up on tv - 10 seconds or so after passing the bios screen. Like the tv needs time to update itself?

0 Likes
Udlet
Student
Options

The solution I reported is can now be called as a false information.

The change which lead to the ordinary issue:
I powered of my computer and moved it to another location. I connected the HDMI 2.0 cable to the same port in TV (HDMI1) and same HDMI port in RTX 3070 GPU. The G-Sync is not working anymore. 

How I managed to get it working previously:
I plugged the 3070 GPU with HDMI 2.1 cable to the Q80T HDMI 2.0 port 1. 
I swapped the HDMI 2.1 cable to HDMI 2.0 cable and everything was working normally.

The question is: nVidia or Samsung? Who will be doing the fix?

0 Likes
Ju7ez
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the reply - let’s keep this going!!!!

Currently I am working ok with 4K/120 with a few glitches here and there - mostly nvdlm driver problems (Nvidia issues) on port 4 with input signal plus enabled (Q90R).

Apparently Sony are providing a driver update for PS5 to fix similar issues with the console so looking likely that this is going to be an Nvidia fix required.

0 Likes
Udlet
Student
Options

I did also a test by connecting Q80T to RTX 3070 with HDMI 2.1 cable from Q80T HDMI PORT1,2,3  everything worked fine (4K120HZ+G-Sync) and if I swap the cable to HDMI 2.0 everything keeps working. The HDMI cable swap does something to the TV or to the RTX.

I have seen a video where a user has connected Q80T to RTX2070 with HDMI 2.0 and 4K/120HZ+G-Sync works. The issue must be with the RTX3000 series.. for some reason the GeForce HDMI2.1 port do no understand HDMI2.0 cable.. I think I have to change a forum. :face-with-tears-of-joy: 

0 Likes
Solution
Kansilehti
Apprentice
Options

This issue is finally fixed with firmware 1381.2.

4k 120hz G-sync now works great.

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Unless they fixed it in some new patch, majority of Samsung TVs have non-working HDMI 2.1 port. Aka it works only in HDMI 2.0 mode at best (not even that mostly).

All Frames are broken as of last patch 1.5.0.6.

0 Likes
Udlet
Student
Options

I have discovered some new issues after the latest Q80T firmware and 3070 driver updates. All the other Q80T HDMI ports stopped working with the 3070 and only the HDMI 4 is now working. It never used to work before the latest firmware or graphic driver updates. The only issue is that when I enable G-Sync the sound going trought  the HDMI cable gets interrupted for 1 second around every 2 minutes.

Anyway everything feels stable when using HDMI 2.0 cable from 3070 to HDMI port 4 in Q80T. The Nvidia Control Panel can see the TV is G-Sync compatible but the only issue occures with the sound. 

0 Likes
Udlet
Student
Options

NEW TESTS - EVERYTHING BROKEN

HDMI1-2-3 ports do not work with Input Signal Plus which means I cannot get the high refresh rates. These ports worked well before the latest updates.

HDMI4 port only works when Game Mode is enabled but doesn't allow to have refresh rate up to 60 hz. 

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Looks like Blizzard way of fixing stuff. We patch the game, fix one thing, break three others. Impressive how company like Samsung can be some incompetent.

0 Likes
Udlet
Student
Options

And now for some reason after trying everything HDMI Port 1 with HDMI 2.0 can display 4k120hz and show G-Sync compability.

0 Likes