Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q900R Firmware 1401 Xbox no sound 4k 120hz

(Topic created on: 07-12-2022 10:49 PM)
kcgoatboy
First Poster
Options

The OTA 1401 firmware broke 4k 120 hz gaming on the xbox series x.  There is no sound when 4k 120 hz is selected but sound works again if you choose 1080p 120hz.  I am using hdmi port 4.  I've tried the highspeed hdmi cable that comes with the series x and also tried a certified 8k hdmi 2.1 cable.  Samsung support says contact Microsoft Support.  After dealing with MS support they say to contact Samsung Support.  I had no issues before firmware 1401, that is the only variable that changed.

Per MS support, changing the video out put from Auto to HDMI and manually setting the hdmi setting doesn't work.  Resetting the video/audio setting via hold eject button while turning on doesn't work.  I've tried the Xbox on a different brand TV and it works 4k 120 hz and audio.

MS support thinks the new Samsung firmware messed something up with the HDMI signal handshake.  During trouble shooting, cutting power the the Samsung Connect Box, waiting 30 seconds and letting the tv/connect box restart makes the sound work again at 4k 120 hz but as soon as a switch inputs or turn off the tv with the remote, the problem comes back that I have no sound at 4k 120 hz.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware?

53 REPLIES 53
HowWho
Apprentice
Options

Just adding my name to the list of effected users. this is not just a 4K 120hz issue but a general 4K possible HDR issue triggering no sound. Xbox series S and randomly get no sound on any 4K HDR game. Yet 1080p games remain fine. Have to unplug from the power for a minute or so in order to get sound back. Also on the 1401 firmware. Come on samsung, this is clearly a widespread issue now.

0 Likes
SO_SESK
Explorer
Options

Hello.

There has been a service software update issued with some fix regarding HDMI ARC. Please use the below URL to download the USB upgrade image. Also please note that this is not a regular update so use it only if You have problems related to audio and/or HDMI ARC. Good luck and please let me know if it helped.

https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&OriginYN=N&Model...

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Has anyone tried this? Just wondering how you came across it? Also, this looks like a UK update. Will it work in USA?

0 Likes
SO_SESK
Explorer
Options

Hello,

this version is used by Samsung service centers across the world to fix some problems related to HDMI ARC. I was allowed to share it with You by our (Samsung) headquarters.

This version is for the EU and the UK however the US would require a different USB software upgrade file since this one will not install on any US model.

0 Likes
Martorias
Explorer
Options

Sorry but I'm not installing a random update (with the filename for an old plasma TV) from a week old unverified account. If this is a known issue why not include it in your regular updates, or host in on the Samsung website or even have an official Samsung person post it? 

0 Likes
Michael Digital
Explorer
Options

The file name is exactly the same as the official 1401 update from Samsung support Site for my RU Model(EU).  And the source is downloadcenter.samsung.com too. My question is, can you update any 1401 firmware(EU) to this 1409 firmware?

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Anything new with this or still using work arounds? Still no Samsung firmware update.

0 Likes
Romero24
Student
Options

I did a reset on my tv and worked - sound reset 

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Not for me.

0 Likes
Ernesteaux
First Poster
Options

If you hold the power button on the remote, it will reboot the tv and then you’ll have sound. It’s not a permanent fix though. 

0 Likes