Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q900R Firmware 1401 Xbox no sound 4k 120hz

(Topic created on: 11-09-2022 06:04 AM)
kcgoatboy
First Poster
Options

The OTA 1401 firmware broke 4k 120 hz gaming on the xbox series x.  There is no sound when 4k 120 hz is selected but sound works again if you choose 1080p 120hz.  I am using hdmi port 4.  I've tried the highspeed hdmi cable that comes with the series x and also tried a certified 8k hdmi 2.1 cable.  Samsung support says contact Microsoft Support.  After dealing with MS support they say to contact Samsung Support.  I had no issues before firmware 1401, that is the only variable that changed.

Per MS support, changing the video out put from Auto to HDMI and manually setting the hdmi setting doesn't work.  Resetting the video/audio setting via hold eject button while turning on doesn't work.  I've tried the Xbox on a different brand TV and it works 4k 120 hz and audio.

MS support thinks the new Samsung firmware messed something up with the HDMI signal handshake.  During trouble shooting, cutting power the the Samsung Connect Box, waiting 30 seconds and letting the tv/connect box restart makes the sound work again at 4k 120 hz but as soon as a switch inputs or turn off the tv with the remote, the problem comes back that I have no sound at 4k 120 hz.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware?

53 REPLIES 53
MusselWilson
First Poster
Options

Hey all:

Experiencing the same problem on my QN65 and with Xbox Series S -- namely with audio in streaming video platforms. PS5 has been unimpacted, and I don't understand why, but I'm choosing happiness on that front. I've not attempted any other devices via HDMI. I, too, did not have an issue until the autoupdate hit the TV with the 1401 firmware. I did a full factory reset on the TV and it did not fix the problem.

My issues may be the same issues y'all are having or more complicated. For a moment, I would get audio in Hulu/HBO/Youtube but NOT in Netflix, OR I could get audio in Netflix and NOT in any other platform, including games or system menus. I would reset the resolution in Xbox settings from 4k to 1440p and it would sometimes correct the issue. I wish you could understand my frustration, as I tried every port, bought new HDMI cables, etc. trying to solve the problem.

I think I have found a workaround short of a full TV/console reset or tampering with settings. I've found when there is a sound drop off, enable or disabling game mode in the easy access menu has returned the sound for some reason. I don't understand why, but it's worked thus far. 

Ideally, Samsung will just unbreak their system, as it was working perfectly fine prior to 1401. 

TL;DR: Try turning game mode on or off, then attempt.

0 Likes
Evane85
First Poster
Options

I've been having the same issue with the PS5 even before the 1401 update. Seems like that update pushed the bug to a larger set of device combinations now.

As a workaround, while your tv is on, try holding the TV's power button until the tv's logo is visible, then let go. This will completely shutdown the TV, re-initializing all ports. This workaround has worked for me for ages now - hopefully it does for some of you, too.

0 Likes
Ernesteaux
First Poster
Options

I’m having the same issue with my Q90R and series x. This helped! Ugh. How irritating. 

0 Likes
Petlesso
First Poster
Options

I have a 2019 Ru8000 samsung tv, then bought a xbox series x .... since update 1401 I lose sound al out everything I close a game or app.... cmon samsung fix ur update... I didn't pay $750 just to be frustrated and disappointed, starting to regret my loyalty to samsung TV's as TLC TV's etc are not having these issues. Do they even read their own forums?... I haven't called support knowing they will try to handball me to MS but I will just to add to complaints so they can get on to this

0 Likes
Roy Vedas
First Poster
Options

Any news on this? I have the same issue with the firsk kind of content works, then others is silent. I tried talking to my natinal Samsung support. Of course they guy had never heard anything and he was annoyed when I demanded an escalation. He has seemingly created a "ticket" - I expect to never hear from them again. I can't believe this is not being acknowledged by Samsung. I guess it was the last time I bought Samsung. I have been pissed of when discovering ads in the smart tv functions. I cannot live with the workaround - a TV in 2022 should be a hasslefree experience.

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Nothing new here...still rebooting TV every time to get sound to devices. I agree that this is an absolute disgrace and will not buy samsung ever again! Clearly they know and do not care. Can't even respond to the concerns posted here. The way to get even is to boycott there product moving forward. There is not even a guarantee that when they put out another update it will fix this problem.

0 Likes
Martorias
Explorer
Options

Same here with my q70r. Worked perfectly up until latest update, now it's just *****.

0 Likes
Moore349
First Poster
Options

Have they even acknowledged it yet? This is unacceptable. I am ready to buy a new tv(from a different brand obviously), can samsung please let me know if a fix is coming or not because I don’t want to waste my money!

samsung tv with 1401, Xbox series x, Bose sound bar running through arc hdmi 3. Always lacking sound either on the whole console or just a random game. Hard resets and workarounds do nothing to fix it. Please respond.  

0 Likes
dcaslin
First Poster
Options

Just dropping in to add to my name to the list. This wasted hours of frustration thinking it was an Xbox problem. I have two 2019 QN65Q80R's, one w/ an Xbox S and one w/ an Xbox X, and both have been suffering from this for weeks. I'd been forced to crawl behind my TV and swap HDMI plugs until I learned about the hard reset. 

Samsung's had the best TV's for dealing w/ glare, but this is starting to make me strongly consider a shiny new LG instead, ridiculous that a quietly forced firmware update would break my entire household without even any acknowledgement.

0 Likes
Fiend55
First Poster
Options

Hold down power button on tv remote until Samsung logo appears