Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q900R Firmware 1401 Xbox no sound 4k 120hz

(Topic created on: 07-09-2022 10:22 PM)
kcgoatboy
First Poster
Options

The OTA 1401 firmware broke 4k 120 hz gaming on the xbox series x.  There is no sound when 4k 120 hz is selected but sound works again if you choose 1080p 120hz.  I am using hdmi port 4.  I've tried the highspeed hdmi cable that comes with the series x and also tried a certified 8k hdmi 2.1 cable.  Samsung support says contact Microsoft Support.  After dealing with MS support they say to contact Samsung Support.  I had no issues before firmware 1401, that is the only variable that changed.

Per MS support, changing the video out put from Auto to HDMI and manually setting the hdmi setting doesn't work.  Resetting the video/audio setting via hold eject button while turning on doesn't work.  I've tried the Xbox on a different brand TV and it works 4k 120 hz and audio.

MS support thinks the new Samsung firmware messed something up with the HDMI signal handshake.  During trouble shooting, cutting power the the Samsung Connect Box, waiting 30 seconds and letting the tv/connect box restart makes the sound work again at 4k 120 hz but as soon as a switch inputs or turn off the tv with the remote, the problem comes back that I have no sound at 4k 120 hz.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware?

53 REPLIES 53
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Agreed. Should not have to sacrifice any quality though....If you power off the TV and PS5 and boot playstation first it also seems to work with no loss in RGB and setting still on automatic.

0 Likes
Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
I haven't tried that. Only way I could solve it was unplugging the HDMI and plugging back in.

Thankfully I figured out the -2 fix.

Having a good search around the Internet... I'm not seeing a lot of people mentioning this problem for some reason. Thats why I thought my hdmi was probably faulty. I hope Samsung resolve this or I'll be pretty pissed off considering how much the TV cost me.

Let me know if you find a proper fix for it 👍🏻
0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Try the power off method curious if it works for you and you should be able to have RGB back.

I just turn the TV off for 20 seconds and boot the PS5 with controller which should start your TV if set properly to do so. Seems to work most times and easier than pulling HDMI and resetting everything. I do not think there will be a proper fix unless PS5 or Samsung fixes in future updates.

0 Likes
Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
Hey.. it worked. I switched it back to automatic amd powered everything off.

Switched ps5 on first.. then tv 20 seconds later and sound is working. Thanks for the info
0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

No problem. Still annoying but at least you can have the option of keeping the RGB. Seems whatever it is it's a minor glitch. 

0 Likes
Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
Something puzzling me though. Must be thousands of Samsung TV and PS5 owners just had this 1401.0 update.. I cant find many threads or people complaining about this problem much. You would think there would be loads of folk complaining about this
0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Yes. But not everyone updates their software. I turned auto update off after this and I also think different models have different software versions. I have seen complaints about sound issues for receivers and soundbars.

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Don't know about you but I ran the PS5 update today and it seems to have fixed the sound issue.

Coming on with booting by controller.

0 Likes
Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
Na.. was working at first but I'm back to no.sound again. Same problem still exists for me
0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

You are right. Worked at first then nothing again....aggravating. guess we have to wait for Samsung which isn't good.

0 Likes