Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q900R Firmware 1401 Xbox no sound 4k 120hz

(Topic created on: 28-08-2022 07:06 PM)
kcgoatboy
First Poster
Options

The OTA 1401 firmware broke 4k 120 hz gaming on the xbox series x.  There is no sound when 4k 120 hz is selected but sound works again if you choose 1080p 120hz.  I am using hdmi port 4.  I've tried the highspeed hdmi cable that comes with the series x and also tried a certified 8k hdmi 2.1 cable.  Samsung support says contact Microsoft Support.  After dealing with MS support they say to contact Samsung Support.  I had no issues before firmware 1401, that is the only variable that changed.

Per MS support, changing the video out put from Auto to HDMI and manually setting the hdmi setting doesn't work.  Resetting the video/audio setting via hold eject button while turning on doesn't work.  I've tried the Xbox on a different brand TV and it works 4k 120 hz and audio.

MS support thinks the new Samsung firmware messed something up with the HDMI signal handshake.  During trouble shooting, cutting power the the Samsung Connect Box, waiting 30 seconds and letting the tv/connect box restart makes the sound work again at 4k 120 hz but as soon as a switch inputs or turn off the tv with the remote, the problem comes back that I have no sound at 4k 120 hz.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware?

53 REPLIES 53
GTV0026
Explorer
Options

I’m having the same issue. I called Samsung tech support but they are of no help and have no clue about any firmware update that broke ARC. They did confirm you can’t rollback the firmware and I also tried via USB with no luck. What I found works for me is just unplugging my one connect box from power and plugging it back in. For now, I have it connected to a wifi plug so I just turn power off then back on using my phone to restore audio. Nothing else would work for me. I do have an Xbox Series X and this was the only thing that worked.

Jay51
First Poster
Options

Yep, same issue for me to. Firmware update then suddenly no sound. Series X

Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Same problem here with my PS5, no matter which HDMI port I use no sound unless I shut off or unplug TV one connect and boot PS5 first. Samsung has no clue how to help. Clearly it is the 1401 update that caused this issue and not Xbox or PS5. My PS5 works fine on other TV. Come on Samsung get a fix out for this bad update!

Romero24
Student
Options

I have the same issue… I disconnected power to tv waited 30 seconds and it worked however I have to do this DAILY!

Kiptrix
First Poster
Options

I am also having this issue. Very dissappointed.

Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
I've found a solution to this no sound problem although you wont get RGB so coulors are a little washed out.

On your PS5 go to settings, Screen and Video, 4K video transfer rate..

Change it from automatic to -2 and your sound will work every time. Working for me on my Q85r.

I cant get any sound when 4K transfer rate is on automatic now. I've ordered a new hdmi cable to see if it solves the problem
0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the post. This worked for me! So strange given it's a video\screen setting that fixes the sound. Still disappointing that we spend this amount of $ and run into these issues. Samsung should patch this. We should not have to reduce a quality setting to make an 8K TV properly work on a device. But thank you very much easier than shutting off and on constantly. Also clearly it's Samsung and the update given other people having issues with HDMI arc soundbars and Xbox etc.

0 Likes
Rich F67
Journeyman
Options

Also, just FYI, I already changed to a brand new top notch HDMI cable and still had the issue, so save yourself a few bucks unless you need one anyway.

Drewzyboy
Explorer
Options
I already ordered it. U can still get 120hz.. VRR .. HDR on the -2

Just not RGB.. for me colours dont look as vivid on Yuv420.

Sound works every time if left on the on the -2 though.
0 Likes