Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9 2018 TVs with FreeSync and DD+ ARC (DD+ ARC doesn't seem to be working)

(Topic created on: 19-05-2019 05:13 PM)
Shallowearth
Apprentice
Options

OK, so I bought the 2018 Q9 TV and have a Yamaha RX-A880 (which supports 4K and the new eARC formats), I also have an XBOX ONE X that support FreeSync and DD+ (Atmos)

I haven't been able to get the FreeSync to work unless the XBOX is directly connected to the TV (not passed through the receiver, the Yamaha does a great job passing through the 4K but can't do FreeSync).

First, I have to say the XBOX is gorgeous with FreeSync, and 4K Netflix content is vastly superiour to watching directly in the TV apps.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get the DD+ signal to go through the TV back to Reciever.  The settings int he TV seem to imply it is supported (it says something like DD+ is only supported on HDMI ARC) but when I try to set the XBOX to HDMI Bitstream Atmos, it just throughs an error saying the TV doesn't support it, and forcing it (by connecting directly to the Yamaha, setting it to Atmos, then connecting it to the TV, just results in no sounds flowing back on the ARC signal.  The NETFLIX app on the TV doesn't support ATMOS audio (the XBOX version does), so I can't even figure out a way to test this feature to see if DD+ can indeed be passed through ARC with the new protocols since I don't knowif there are any apps on the Samsung that support ATMOS audio.  

Anyone seen DD+ on ARC in action with the set.  It would be great to get both FreeSync and DD+ on my XBOX but it seems like right now I can only get one or the other.  So for now I am going with FreeSync because the picture is just fantastic on 4K with even less soap opera effect, but wish I could get that DD+ going as well.

15 REPLIES 15
Gooser
First Poster
Options

I have a Q7 (2018 model)

The problem is that Samsung cheapskated on the audio codec's (didn't want to pay licencing fees), So although you have a great picture quality but they are terrible/hopeless for audio.  You would expect when you pay for a premium TV they would pay an extra few $$$ roughly $1-2 per unit. I have a second TV Hisense and it does everything except dolby vision.

If you want good audio out of your Xbox plug it in via your A/V receiver thou the Samsung won't reconise any devices plugged into your receiver as seperate devices so you will loose game mode capabilities of the samsung TV. 

Cheers Mark

Jon9678
Student
Options

The Samsung Prime Video app will send Atmos to the receiver via arc. Tested it on my set up, but seems that Jack Ryan is the only content with Atmos right now. Also looks amazing in HDR10+. I was also able to get Atmos passthrough from my NVidia Sheild using the Prime Video app only. So it is somewhat supported I guess. I can't understand why Samsung still doesn't properly support Atmos passthrough, very frustrating! The support allbthe other HDMI 2.1 features like ALLM and Freesync.

0 Likes
Cireo
First Poster
Options

I too am very frustrated with Samsung not supporting DD+ from direct connected devices - only the apps.  I also thought the Universal Remote would be able to control changing the receivers input options, but it doesn’t.  It couldn’t do that with tha Samsung flagship soundbar either (which only has 2 HDMI inputs).  I think these types of lapses of their features should be disclaimers somewhere.   Sure am glad I didn’t spend the extra on the Q9 only to find out it has the same problems. 

With Amazon Prime - there are a few more titles that have Atmos but you have to search for and select the 4K version of the show.  Jack Ryan is actually listed 2 times, one in HD and one 4K with atmos.  To get Atmos with Netflix, Netflix requires both an upgrade to Ultra HD plan and supported streaming device.  My Q6FN is not supported, which is a Netflix Titan app support issue, not a Samsung issue.  I get 5.1 signal without issues and don’t think its worth paying more for Ultra HD.  I can use my Xbox for Atmos, but that requires plugging it directly into the receiver.

I have 2018 model Q6fn 65”.  Supports FreeSync from my Xbox One S but will not pass DD+ to my flagship Samsung Atmos soundbar.  You would think all Samsung products would work together. I returned the soundbar for a Denon AVR-S740H but still DD+ wil not pass from Xbox One S to Denon.  BTW - The $300 Denon with 4 of my crappy old speakers (left, right, simulated center, and 2 rear surrounds) sounds way better than the $1,700 flagship Samsung soundbar. 

I have spent far too much time troubleshooting and learning about these issues.  

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Are you sure it's not just your cable?

0 Likes
rp2323
First Poster
Options

I got a samsung 2019 tv. And samsung is indeed a big cheapstake. Even audio playing directly through its app doesn't play in DD+. The tv settings gives an option for DD+ , but when I play the denon receiver just plays clicking sound. Of course nothing is wrong with my receiver it can play DD+ or even TrueHD audio, when taking the input directly from blue ray , but when playing netflix through the app that came with TV , DD+ does not work.

So in short , the smart part of samsung TV is not smart. No DD+ audio and the hotstar app freezes all the time even when the TV is connected through ethernet. ( it works on nvidia shield ). They could have simply licensed android TV. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

My one plays dd+ through denon from amazon and Netflix app

0 Likes