Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q8C vertical banding

(Topic created on: 01-11-2017 02:24 PM)
blacky01
First Poster
Options

Hello, since buying the TV I am suffering with the problem in the form of vertical stripes on the screen. When was the firmware 1123, stripes were seen very much, at 1144 and 1145.1 visibility was reduced, but still evident on some content, ask for help.JwRvqWw1eCI.jpg

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

It's really hard to see from your image, it may be some interaction between local dimming the back lights and rendering the content, perhaps try turning local dimming off to see if that helps.

It should be pointed out that every large screen LCD or OLED, when showing a screen of all one colour or test pattern, will show some type of flaw or inconsistency across the image, and once spotted can then be seen in certain images, for example a blue sky.

However it's very hard to see anything in your picture, but the back lights work in vertical strips for local dimming, which means you may be just seeing slight differences in the brightness of each strip of back lights.

If you haven't already, try the Movie picture preset, this doesn't ramp up everything to the maximum and produces a much more natural picture.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
blacky01
First Poster
Options

Hello, you are right, the static picture of these bands is almost invisible, the problem is that they are clearly shown in some video games on PS4 when moving the camera, for example, in Destiny 2, they are visible in dark locations when you rotate the camera, in the game south park they are visible in almost all locations again only when moving.

I tried all the settings of the image, but could only slightly reduce the visibility of the defect, but it still is 😞

Firmware at the moment 1147

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I think this tends to be an issue with the technology, as the TV has vertical stripes for the back light so it can turn them on and off for local dimming.

Regards 

Phil

0 Likes
MikeySims
First Poster
Options
Hi there,

I'm having similar problems with image banding on my new Q7F. 

There was no mention of imaging banding in the Which? review of the TV, which is why I'm suspecting this may be a fault rather than this being standard to the TV.

It's really distracting, and shows up worst on planer images, like sky, as you mentioned. 

Are there plans to release a firmware update to resolve the issue, as I have seen there have been recent releases in the US for this issue. 

Mike. 

0 Likes
MikeySims
First Poster
Options

Hi Blacky, 

I had the below communicaiton with Samsung support, and rather shockingly, it actually fixed my banding issue! Certainly worth a try if you haven't done it already: 

Let's try a soft reset on the TV. You can do this in Support > Self diagnosis > Reset. 

Mike. 

0 Likes