Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q80T Constant screen flicker with certain apps

(Topic created on: 25-01-2022 05:33 AM)
Symber
First Poster
Options

Just some background - I've had this TV for almost a year now, no problems. We've had a Switch hooked up to it for about a month, no other devices hooked up to it. 

Two days ago certain streaming apps started to show a constant flicker. I *think* there may have been a firmware update (it's on 2101). Currently the flicker occurs in Amazon Prime Video or Disney+ but only with some content (tested Hawkeye, Book of Boba Fett and Wheel of Time tonight - all flicker, Yellowjaxkets didn't).

I have no issues with Samsung TV, Netflix, Hulu or YouTube so far. I can't find anything in the settings that had an impact. Self troubleshooting menu, everything displayed fine for the various tests. I don't think I missed anything. A solution would be great, but I'd settle for a way to rollback the last update and fix this issue. 

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
If you still have warranty On your TV
You could try contacting support
And explain the issue
You are having with your TV

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Symber ,

happy to have a look at this with you. Can you please confirm if you are using the TV apps to watch this or if you are watching them from an external device?

0 Likes
Symber
First Poster
Options

That is correct. This is happening with the stock Samsung TV apps. The only external device connected is a Nintendo Switch that's been connected for about a month. It has no flicker, nor does most content. Even different shows within the Amazon Prime Video app vary, some flicker, some don't. 

0 Likes
Symber
First Poster
Options

I just realized this is the EU community and I'm US based 🤦‍♂️ If this is a problem, I can head to the US community to present my problem. Either way, if it gets solved, I'll present the solution here as well! 

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

How strange! Have you tried to uninstall the app and re-install it back?

To delete the app, navigate to and select Apps on the TV, and then select the Settings icon in the top right corner. Find the app you are having an issue with, and then select Delete.

If Delete is grayed out, this is a recommended app. Select Reinstall instead.

If this doesn't help, please reset the Smart Hub: Resetting the Smart Hub will sign you out of every app that you use on your Smart TV, not just the app that you want to fix. Therefore, make sure that you have the current login information for all of your accounts before you proceed to reset. To do this head into the TV Settings > Support > Service Care > Self Diagnosis > Reset Smart Hub.

0 Likes
Symber
First Poster
Options

Okay, so things have gotten more strange. I *did* try power cycling the TV and reinstalling one of the apps previously, which didn't work. This was also only happening with Prime Video at the time.

So I tested the problem again this morning and it's completely gone from all shows it was previously observed on. The problem was occurring between 10pm-1am local time. No changes to the TV in the past 24hrs.

The TV is connected via 5ghz wifi with a strong connection (according to the TV). Could this be caused by issues with the wifi radio? A speed test has my internet speed at 115Mbps so I don't think it's the connection speed.

I will uninstall/reinstall the problem apps and update again if the problem is still there later today or tonight. Thank you for all of your help so far! 

0 Likes
Symber
First Poster
Options

Well I suppose this is solved for now. The issue did not occur this evening. I reinstalled both apps as a precaution as well as another hard power cycle of the TV. 

I did take a video of the flicker which may be useful if it returns. Someone suggested it may be early signs of a power board failure. It's that possible? Would it be worth having someone take a look at the television?

In any case, thanks again, I'll mark this issue solved. 

0 Likes
Symber
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately, it seems to still happen occasionally. Last night this occurred again in the Disney+ app. Could this be an issue with the power board as a member of another forum suggested? Should I reach out for warranty service? 

0 Likes
Steve Thresher
Apprentice
Options

I get the same problem with HDR content. Have you solved the problem?