Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q7FN (2018 model) after firmware update 1290.4, 24p videos do not scale correctly

(Topic created on: 11-08-2020 10:51 PM)
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

Self explanatory title, after the firmware update which happened automatically for me today (1290.4), when I playback 24p videos from PC (HDMI), the display does not scale correctly. It is actually a little bit zoomed in and there is no option from the TV to change the scaling.

To replicate this bug you don't need to play any videos, you just need to change Windows resolution to any with 24Hz. 1080p 24Hz, 4k 24Hz whatever. Display is scaled and it is incredibly annoying.

Update 04-Dec-2019: I figured out that the resolution advertised by the TV is now wrong. When using any lower refresh rate than 60Hz (for example 30, 24) the resolution advertised for 1080p is 1842x1036 and for 4k is 3686x2072. I had to do a completely manual size scaling from nvidia control's panel to accomodate for this mistake. Where are my missing pixels, Samsung?

Update 05-Dec-2019: Turns out that the awkward resolutions are the result of nvidia resizing my desktop to compensate for the faulty scaling and not the monitor's fault. But nevertheless, this shows that when resizing the desktop, the result is actually having less pixels than the intended resolution which makes the picture blurry and not ideal for movie watching.

Update 13-Dec-2019: I have found a workaround. If you set your input to be of type "Blu-ray player" and not PC, then the problem with 24Hz disappears. But of course it increases the input lag so it's not suitable for gaming. So now we need to change labels before watching a movie and change it back to PC when finished.

Update 05-Mar-2020: Firmware update 1292.3 did *not* fix this issue.

56f8228668226602992fb904390e51b1

Attaching pictures.

1080p 120Hz1080p 120Hz1080p 24Hz1080p 24Hz

Regards

23 REPLIES 23
Javgam
Journeyman
Options

Hi Samsung

23 May and still no new firmware that solves this scaling problem :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

Why?

0 Likes
Solution
Javgam
Journeyman
Options

Good news 😀

Samsung has finally solved this annoying issue with new firmware 1300.4 and now resolutions at 24 Hz, scale correctly (no more overscan).

It took ages, for Samsung to find a solution, but as the saying goes "better late than never" I suppose....

Regards

0 Likes
ssjandres
Apprentice
Options

I was getting a new TV this year, so I ended up getting an OLED CX... Did they fix it for 50Hz as well? That's what I was looking for way back when.

0 Likes
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

This is amazing news @Javgam you made my day! :smiling-face: But I'm on vacations and I can't confirm it :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: I will mark this forum thread as solved as soon as I get back home! :smiling-face:

0 Likes