Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q7FN (2018 model) after firmware update 1290.4, 24p videos do not scale correctly

(Topic created on: 11-12-2019 09:28 PM)
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

Self explanatory title, after the firmware update which happened automatically for me today (1290.4), when I playback 24p videos from PC (HDMI), the display does not scale correctly. It is actually a little bit zoomed in and there is no option from the TV to change the scaling.

To replicate this bug you don't need to play any videos, you just need to change Windows resolution to any with 24Hz. 1080p 24Hz, 4k 24Hz whatever. Display is scaled and it is incredibly annoying.

Update 04-Dec-2019: I figured out that the resolution advertised by the TV is now wrong. When using any lower refresh rate than 60Hz (for example 30, 24) the resolution advertised for 1080p is 1842x1036 and for 4k is 3686x2072. I had to do a completely manual size scaling from nvidia control's panel to accomodate for this mistake. Where are my missing pixels, Samsung?

Update 05-Dec-2019: Turns out that the awkward resolutions are the result of nvidia resizing my desktop to compensate for the faulty scaling and not the monitor's fault. But nevertheless, this shows that when resizing the desktop, the result is actually having less pixels than the intended resolution which makes the picture blurry and not ideal for movie watching.

Update 13-Dec-2019: I have found a workaround. If you set your input to be of type "Blu-ray player" and not PC, then the problem with 24Hz disappears. But of course it increases the input lag so it's not suitable for gaming. So now we need to change labels before watching a movie and change it back to PC when finished.

Update 05-Mar-2020: Firmware update 1292.3 did *not* fix this issue.

56f8228668226602992fb904390e51b1

Attaching pictures.

1080p 120Hz1080p 120Hz1080p 24Hz1080p 24Hz

Regards

23 REPLIES 23
Javgam
Journeyman
Options

Hello Samsung

I´m experiencing this same issue, except that my Samsung model is Q9FN:

@caboomgr wrote:

Hello,

Self explanatory title, after the firmware update which happened automatically for me today (1290.4), when I playback 24p videos from PC (HDMI), the display does not scale correctly. It is actually a little bit zoomed in and there is no option from the TV to change the scaling.

To replicate this bug you don't need to play any videos, you just need to change Windows resolution to any with 24Hz. 1080p 24Hz, 4k 24Hz whatever. Display is scaled and it is incredibly annoying.

Update 04-Dec-2019: I figured out that the resolution advertised by the TV is now wrong. When using any lower refresh rate than 60Hz (for example 30, 24) the resolution advertised for 1080p is 1842x1036 and for 4k is 3686x2072. I had to do a completely manual size scaling from nvidia control's panel to accomodate for this mistake. Where are my missing pixels, Samsung?

Update 05-Dec-2019: Turns out that the awkward resolutions are the result of nvidia resizing my desktop to compensate for the faulty scaling and not the monitor's fault. But nevertheless, this shows that when resizing the desktop, the result is actually having less pixels than the intended resolution which makes the picture blurry and not ideal for movie watching.

56f8228668226602992fb904390e51b1

Attaching pictures.

1080p 120Hz1080p 120Hz1080p 24Hz1080p 24Hz

Regards

Thanks a lot caboomgr, i couldn't have explained it better myself.

Please Samsung fix this problem since before latest firmware update my Q9FN was scaling different resolutions and refresh rates perfectly. Thanks!

Metaxa
First Poster
Options

I notice the same problem on the 65Q9FN tv on any frequency other than 60hz

caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Update 13-Dec-2019: I have found a workaround. If you set your input to be of type "Blu-ray player" and not PC, then the problem with 24Hz disappears. But of course it increases the input lag so it's not suitable for gaming. So now we need to change labels before watching a movie and change it back to PC when finished.

Nazar_ua
First Poster
Options

Same problem, tv UE49NU7102K (1290.4)

0 Likes
ssjandres
Apprentice
Options

Same problem, Q6FN 65" both 24hz and 50hz.

Switching to any other input device name from PC will create unnecessary input lag; especially when gaming.

I set some games to 50hz when I cannot lock at 60fps, and since SAMSUNG refuses to update the VRR compatibility with the latest nVidia drivers that support g-sync (48-60 fps), 50hz to play at locked 50fps is a must. Now not even that works.

As many others have stated in innumerable forum threads, this will be the last (and 5th in less than 4 years) samsung TV I buy; and I will recommend samsung to no one when people ask me in my twitch channel.

I've had terrible experiences with samsung-soundbars' firmware updates that "destroy" (as has been described in tons of forum threads) features and after reading countless forum threads, it seems TVs get the same treatment. Never again, Samsung.

ernestog
Apprentice
Options
UN65NU8500 65 inches.

Same problem with 24hz and the 1290 firmware. It didn't happen before updating it.

I'm using a PC with a NVIDIA 1050TI.

Please fix this problem as soon as possible Samsung.
0 Likes
ernestog
Apprentice
Options

I tested again, it happens with Nvidia and Intel GPUs so it seems it is not related to the Video Card but the TV itself.

0 Likes
caboomgr
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

Yes I know, the problem is with the TV. I have contacted samsung in my country, they remotely connected to my TV and I showed them the problem, they agreed that it's a problem and I have recently received confirmation that they have forwarded the issue to the relevant department to get it fixed.

For the moment you can do the workaround I have mentioned in the original first post.

Regards

0 Likes
ssjandres
Apprentice
Options

Yes... they always say the same thing. I've contacted Samsung US several times. They ALWAYS recognize that there is an issue on their end that needs to be solved, and then they proceed to give you a time estimate of when they think it'll be solved. 

I'm still waiting for a) my soundbar to not switch automatically to game mode, b) for the "fit to screen" option in my qled to actually be ON when it already says it's ON and it isn't working, when turning my Nintendo Switch ON before switching first to the HDMI input it's connected to, c) for the rear speakers on my q70r to not be soooo quiet despite having them at level +6 (max), d) for them to revert what a 2017 firmware for my older 3D TV did to cause ghosting/crosstalk and basically break 3D... When you call, they'll ALWAYS apologize for the trouble, tell you that they'll have the engineers fix it, and then never do 😕

Most of these fixes are probably very trivial for them to fix with a software/firmware update. And it's mindboggling that they break them in the first place and then never revert them 😞

0 Likes