Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q7F Judders and white flashes

(Topic created on: 10-04-2019 01:20 AM)
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Getting more annoyed with our Q7F TV, we were hoping some firmware updates would improve things but that hasn't happened.

1) White flashes, every now again, sometimes a few minutes apart, sometimes hours apart, on a scene transition there is a brilliant white flash, i.e. the screen shows for a fraction of a second or perhaps a single frame, a complete white screen.  This happens from all sources and is random but usually always at an edit, going back and playing the same part again it doesn't happen, its as though the TV can't process quick enough over a cut.

2) Judders, typically on pans, at the start of the pan the picture will freeze for a couple of frames then jump and catch up, this is often repeatable but not always.

We've tried changing various motion settings and judder reduction settings which have done nothing to stop the problems.

Are these problems happening for everyone on these TVs?

Regards

Phil

61 REPLIES 61
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

We are now on firmware version 1250.5 on the Q7F from 2017.  I've gone back to movie mode to test and so far no white flashes in this picture mode, and judder issues overall seem to be improved but not alleviated completely. 

Of course as is indicative of Samsungs poor customer support, still no release notes on what new firmware fixes, so it may be the white flashes just haven't had the footage shown that causes them yet.

Regards

Phil

jlw1619
First Poster
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

We are now on firmware version 1250.5 on the Q7F from 2017.  I've gone back to movie mode to test and so far no white flashes in this picture mode, and judder issues overall seem to be improved but not alleviated completely. 

Of course as is indicative of Samsungs poor customer support, still no release notes on what new firmware fixes, so it may be the white flashes just haven't had the footage shown that causes them yet.

Regards

Phil

I’ve also updated to 1250.5 and have had mixed results.  The white flashes seem to be mostly gone, but there is still flicker, although it’s not the same type of flicker as before.  It’s almost like a black, outline flicker and very quick.

At first, occurrences were very infrequent.  The first couple of days, I’d see maybe a couple per day, so i thought the problem mostly fixed.  The last couple of days, however, the flickering has been really bad.  On at least one occasion, the TV rebooted itself during a particularly bad series of flickers.   And then today, absolutely no flickers or judders all day, at all.

Pre-1250, I’d see flashes very frequently, sometimes every few minutes and they were the white, green, red, etc flashes everyone else has written about.  Also, pre-1250, flashes would occur on all sources - HDMI and even on the native apps (Hulu, Netflix), on all picture modes.

Although the situation is noticeably better, the problem is far from fixed.  It still occurs, although, as mentioned, the flickers/flashes are different and very quick, and still occurring on all sources and picture modes.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I can confirm that the white flashes on some test material I had recorded are still present, but it does seem reduced over all.

Judder is just as bad, this was even mentioned in a review for their latest Q8DN TVs so we can assume ALL the latest Samsung TVs from at least 2017 have this problem (review at https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-q8dn-qe55q8dn-review.15184) they state:

"The very little 60p material we used was also displayed correctly but we did have some slight issues with broadcast 50i material. Now and again we did notice some frame skipping which seemed to happen every few minutes and was only really noticeable in slow pans, but it was there at other times if we went looking for it."

They went on to say they didn't think it was a deal breaker, perhaps the review was sponsored by Samsung, who knows, but it's pretty bad and spoils any chance of being immersed in a film or program if they dare to use any slow pans!

Samsung TVs, best avoided, they can't get the basics correct.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
xJDHD
Apprentice
Options

I don't mean to be a necromancer, but I'm experiencing these same white (and rarely but sometimes black) flashes with my Q9FN.

Picture Mode: HDR+

Auto Motion Plus Settings: Custom, 10, 10, LED Clear Motion Enabled

HDMI UHD Color: Enabled

Software Version: 1153

Flashes occur only when using USB (External HDD)

timstack709
Explorer
Options

Hello, I have a 2017 55 Inch QLED tv and also see these whte flashes. Is there any fix?

StungBySam
Explorer
Options

I’ve only had my Samsung 55 inch HDTV since October. I’ve had three service technicians come by because they haven’t witnessed the sudden flash, Samsung claims there’s nothing more they can do for me and they have closed my case. I’m only six months into the original manufacturers warranty and as a customer – I’m nothing!

0 Likes
xJDHD
Apprentice
Options

Mine judders once every like 60 seconds. If they need video evidence of it, I'll just record my darn screen for it.

0 Likes
StungBySam
Explorer
Options
  1. Just got off the phone with Samsung  again And they have said there is nothing they can do for me. I’ve had three service visits but because none of the service technicians were able to witness these “lightning flashes” Samsung claims there’s nothing wrong with the TV. I’ve only had it six months. $1200!  They claim there’s nothing wrong with it and they’re not going to send anyone out here anymore. They told me to set up a video recorder to capture it on video and then call them back so there’s proof of something wrong! I could not believe it. I’ve posted all of my chats with Samsung to all of my social media accounts.  There wouldn’t be a thread on this community board if there weren’t problems. Samsung needs to wake up and listen to their customers.    
0 Likes
StungBySam
Explorer
Options
  1. Just got off the phone with Samsung  again And they have said there is nothing they can do for me. I’ve had three service visits but because none of the service technicians were able to witness these “lightning flashes” Samsung claims there’s nothing wrong with the TV. I’ve only had it six months. $1200!  They claim there is nothing wrong with it and they’re not going to send anyone out here anymore. They told me to set up a video recorder to capture it on video and then call them back so there’s proof of something wrong! I could not believe it. I’ve posted all of my chats with Samsung to all of my social media accounts.  There wouldn’t be a thread on this community board if there weren’t problems. Samsung needs to wake up and listen to their customers.    
0 Likes
xJDHD
Apprentice
Options

I'll record a video tomorrow of mine. Impossible to miss the judder.