Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q7F and a dolby atmos sound bar possible?

(Topic created on: 11-06-2020 04:09 PM)
DMD2882
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have a 2017 65” Q7F. Connected to it I have an Xbox one x and Sky Q. I’m looking into getting a sound bar with dolby atmos. Would a dolby atmos sound bar work with my Q7F? If it did would I have to use ARC?

Pretty new to this. Sorry if these are silly questions. Any advice or tips would be great.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@DMD2882 wrote:

Hi

I have a 2017 65” Q7F. Connected to it I have an Xbox one x and Sky Q. I’m looking into getting a sound bar with dolby atmos. Would a dolby atmos sound bar work with my Q7F? If it did would I have to use ARC?

Pretty new to this. Sorry if these are silly questions. Any advice or tips would be great.

Thanks.

I believe the Samsung will pass through atmos,  can a moderator confirm this please. I know the lg does,  and they use the ARC HDMI.  EARC which most 2018 sets should be updated to (but not guaranteed),  will be able to pass through higher quality Dolby HD,  but Samsung does not support DTS so not sure about DTS X support,  which is a shame.  A douly atmos sound bar should have a number of inputs and a ARC out,  but might be worth getting a EARC compatible sound bar. That way you can connect the sky box directly to the sound bar. 

Paul

0 Likes
DMD2882
Apprentice
Options

I've not heard of EARC. Is it backward compatible with ARC if I dont use it as EARC? also, is sky Q only EARC?

Anyone know if 2017 Q7 can do EARC?

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @DMD2882. The HW-K950 Soundbar supports Dolby Atmos which requires connection via HDMI in order for that feature to work. This link (P24) will provide you with more details on that. Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
DMD2882
Apprentice
Options
is that with the 2017 Q7's?
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @DMD2882. The HW-K950 Soundbar supports Dolby Atmos which requires connection via HDMI in order for that feature to work. This link (P24) will provide you with more details on that. Hope this helps! 

EARC is the new standard,  Enhanced ARC which is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard and allows HQ sound to be passed through from the tv to any receiver that is also EARC.  EARC will be backward compatible. At the moment Dolby Atmos pass through is Dolby Digital+,  with EARC they could pass through Dolby HD with the Atmos height layer,  so in theory a better sound. Suggest you do a Google search on the subject,  but EARC could be a decent improvement. 

All so the mods here are on the ball. 

Paul

0 Likes
BAhire
Apprentice
Options

The latest update to Q7FN and Q90R Soundbar supports the eARC. Sometimes it shows eARC sometimes Atmos works with Prime Video App / Stick connected to TV. Love it. 

Wongster
First Poster
Options

I love my q7f  75' and thought I would compliment it with the Sonos arc.. although the sound through the set up is great, it's not registering Atmos from the pass through and I was wondering if anyone else is finding the same, or has anyone found a work around, or can confirm they are getting Atmos from this TV? Samsung would a firmware update be on the cards?

rossjp
First Poster
Options

I was told the same thing as Wongster before my arc purchase, that the TV would pass through ATMOS (even though may not be full earc lossless). Have tried with both my blu-ray player and sky-q with stuff that I believe should be passing ATMOS sound to the TV but the Sonos app still says DD5.1. Not sure if I need to tweak a setting but looks like I have everything set up for atmos - slightly frustrated!

Nash977
First Poster
Options

I have an Sonos arc.  Sky q works  ok. But no luck with xbox or Apple TV 

0 Likes