Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q7 Vertical Banding

(Topic created on: 13-01-2019 07:52 PM)
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Just purchased a Q7 49", and it has become apparent there is some faded vertical banding present on the screen - mainly when watching sports (footy/rugby) as the camera pans across the pitch. I have upgraded to the latest and greatest firmware - though unaware what the changes are - and not sure if it has made any difference.

I have been in touch with Samsung support, who have advised exchanging the screen as it is so new.

Has anyone else had this issue - seems to be quite prevalent in the States, and does it get any better with usage (my old LED TV suffered from terrible ghosting when new, but sorted itself out with continued use)? My concern being I exchange the screen for something with the same issue, or even more noticeable.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
paulyoung666
Explorer
Options

@Leg2ionwrote:

Just purchased a Q7 49", and it has become apparent there is some faded vertical banding present on the screen - mainly when watching sports (footy/rugby) as the camera pans across the pitch. I have upgraded to the latest and greatest firmware - though unaware what the changes are - and not sure if it has made any difference.

I have been in touch with Samsung support, who have advised exchanging the screen as it is so new.

Has anyone else had this issue - seems to be quite prevalent in the States, and does it get any better with usage (my old LED TV suffered from terrible ghosting when new, but sorted itself out with continued use)? My concern being I exchange the screen for something with the same issue, or even more noticeable.

I'm not seeing this issue with my 55" ....

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

This is normal, your next screen will probably be the same.  In fact all TVs, OLED or LCD suffer from this sort of thing to a certain degree, google "dirty screen effect".  The problem is on large screens it's very hard for the chemical processes etc to be completely uniform across the entire screen, so when certain pans happen, this uniformity variation can be seen as a dirtly screen effect.  The more you notice it and look for it, the clearer it stands out.  You may find you see it, but other people can't see it.

Also as a TV ages over the years, with LCD their tends to be air currents due to heat inside the TV from the backlight, and light guides can get dusty behind the LCD panel with dust building up in a pattern caused by the air currents, this then also gives a dirty screen effect.  If you smoke, or have open fires where the TV is, it can happen a lot sooner.

With edge lit LCDs like this model, the backlight is also in vertical bands so that it can vary in brightness using local dimming to improve contrast.  Because the back light is split like this, you  will always get some element of vertical banding.

If it's only visible during camera pans on sports, which is where most people first notice it, then it sounds a normal limitation of the technology, and your replacement TV will likely be the same, or luck of the draw a bit better, or could be even worse.  It is possible to just follow the action and ignore the banding, but if you fixate on the banding, your brain learns to see it very clearly, so once seen it's hard to unsee.  

Regards

Phil

Solution
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Phil,

I would agree with you but....

The bands were also apparent on the test screen and when watching anything with predominantly one colour in the background. Once you were aware your eye tended to be drawn to the bands as opposed to the tv show.

I have now swapped the screen with a new one (after contacting Samsung Support) who verified there was an issue. The vendor was more than helpful, immediately agreeing to a replacement, which was delivered, screen swapped and old one dispatched all in the same day.

I also swapped the one connect box over for good measure. I can now say the screen has no evidence of any banding when watching normal TV or sports, so I do think there was an issue with the original.

Dariusostoja
First Poster
Options

15366276688321453336944.jpg

This is my Q8 the vertical banding is bad. Im in a return window I think a return is in order

0 Likes
Mitchelldudley
First Poster
Options

My set is four days old I can see it all the time when playing games or any television or movies when they pan the camera i dont know what to do I am very disappointed everything about the television is fantastic the one connect is great . Hoping samsung can resolve this 20190112_214838.jpg

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Longshot but have you upgraded to the latest firmware - which may help - though doubtful.  If you've only just got it you can exchange it from the vendor you originally purchased it from.

Not sure what TV you have but there may be a troubleshooting page in the settings. The banding I had was still noticeable in the test page. I then rang Samsung who advised me to swap the screen panel out - which I did. I phoned the helpline of the place I bought it from, explained the problem and they were more than helpful. Instead of boxing everything up they sent a new one down by courier, who then waited while I removed the screen from the box and swapped it with my duff one. 

0 Likes
Mitchelldudley
First Poster
Options

Hi thanks for the help and yeah I updated the firmware to 1202.3 after I noticed the banding and still looks as bad . Purchased from richasounds this tv was a replacement as Well paid 1700 pounds for this 65 q7fn I've just uploaded a new pic to show it of a banding test screen let me know what you think 20190113_174904.jpg

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Personally I would get in touch with them and get it swapped out. I found with mine you could watch a 'normal' tv program and all was well, but with sports or similar where there is a backdrop of predominantly one colour (ie pitch) then it would become very apparent.

Failing that if you are still unhappy request a refund (in full) and go for a different manufacturer - unless you are hellbent on Samsung. I stuck with it as I like the TV.

0 Likes
Mitchelldudley
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the response and yeah I think refund is due called richer sounds this morning . Anyone had any experience returning an item to them ie how long they take to do a refund 

0 Likes