Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Q60R QLED (55 inch) flicker with Nintendo Switch

(Topic created on: 22-03-2020 03:27 PM)
bfischetti
Apprentice
Options

TV does not work with Nintendo Switch, it starts to flicker every time I connect the console. It does not happen with FireStick TV or Chromecast, it's only with the Switch. Also the Switch works in other TVs (I have been using it until recently with another).

I have tried unplugging, plugging and restarting everything in every order imaginable, same results. 
I have tried using different ports, different HDMI cables, same results.
The TV is brand new (2 days) and the Nintendo Switch has all the original components. 

What is wrong here? Is the TV firmware incompatible with the console? I am seriously thinking about returning the TV.

Please help!?!?

0 Likes
Go to solution
40 REPLIES 40
Muffinman14
Journeyman
Options

The only thing I found that works is putting the Switch's TV settings to 720 mode. This seems to make games playable, though obviously is not acceptable. I don't think Samsung has put out any updates since I got this thing so they're in no hurry to help. You can find people trying to deal with this all over the internet, infuriating!

0 Likes
AngrySAM
First Poster
Options

I had this issue. After much troubleshooting I fixed it by switching to a shorter HDMI cable. I had several different cable lengths and 2 Nintendo switches, and found that the longest length cable produced the most flickering with both consoles. The mid length cable resulted in less flickering than the long cable. So I went out and got a very short 2 foot HDMI cable and the flickering was gone completely. Seems to be a fidelity issue where the data dropouts increased with cable length. 

0 Likes
Gbanville
First Poster
Options

I found a solution that works perfectly. I plugged the Switch in a HDMI in port on my Samsung Q7CR soundbar, which has a HDMI ARC out to the TV. It now works and TV also recognizes game mode.

0 Likes
Switch1
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I have the recent q70t and same problem. I contacted Samsung online which was useless. It only works on 720 which is not acceptable for an expensive tv. I tried ports, updates, all the settings, switching cables, works fine in other tv’s. Have you found a solution ? I’m very mad about this since it was advertised as good for gaming. 

0 Likes
Switch1
Apprentice
Options

Switching to limited rgb (we shouldn’t have to limit) That did not work for me. This is ridiculous. Samsung new about this since December of 2018. 

0 Likes
Switch1
Apprentice
Options

Same! I just got a q70t for gaming and it only works on 720p. I tried all the things you did and then some. Limiting rgb (which is unacceptable for a tv advertising quantum fast computing) did not work at all.  It’s almost 2021 and still no solution. Forums show this has been an issue since 2018 December. Contacted Samsung which d

justed tried to blame Nintendo. If Nintendo works on all other TVs, it’s wrong to blame them. So frustrated. Waste of time. 

0 Likes
Switch1
Apprentice
Options

Okay it’s now November 27 and still no solution.  Tried contacting Samsung to no avail. The tech just points the finger at Nintendo, despite it working fine on almost all other tv’s and even on their older Samsung  model TVs. It only works on 720p. So I paid for all this quantum tech nonsense for what? Tried ports, infinite combo of settings, limiting rgb on console (unacceptable solution btw), cords, updates...just wasting time. What will we do if we want a new Nintendo or if a new model comes out ? Not buy it? This is suspicious. 

0 Likes
Muffinman14
Journeyman
Options

What you will need to do is RULE OUT SAMSUNG if your going to be playing Nintendo Switch. I'm replacing my 65 inch in my Den this Christmas and will be either be going going with LG or Sony this season.

The 82 inch Samsung QLED last year was an unacceptable disaster and a HUGE REGRET!

0 Likes
Bezlaska
First Poster
Options

You must switch off on Samsung TV game settings From auto to off

0 Likes
Lisalala
First Poster
Options
I had the same problem when I got my 2019 55inch qled model. only way to get it to stop flickering was to set rgb to limited and screen res to 720p. which is disgraceful and annoying as it looks terrible to play. xx
0 Likes