Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 06-02-2017 02:35 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
Okay the first person I talk to name was Alvin he took all my information down the next person I talked to his name was Philip he's the one that sent me the software update I don't have the girls name but I did talk to the last person name was Mark and he's the one that set up my courtesy visit and my repaire I got to them by going to samsung.com and using their phone number listed for technical support I just don't have it right now. All the people I talk to never really admitted to a manufacturing problem. The only person that mention that was a technician from ciber Electronics they're out of Atlanta or something close he's the one that said there was a manufacturer problem with one of the manufacturers of the panel. I believe his name was Chris or maybe mark I mean the truck he was driving had Samsung written all over the side of it. He took pictures of my screen I had two big purple patches had three more small ones just starting. He called Factory was talking to somebody at the factory and he said no problem bad panel will order you a new one I'll call you when it gets in 3 Days Later shows up at the house with the panel me and him take the TV down took him 20 minutes to replace it put it back up no more purple patches. And he guarantees the patches will not never show back up. And he said he was about 80 miles away from me so somewhere around Atlanta. CIBER electronics authorized Samsung warranty repair outfit their phone number 770 685 151 9 I think maybe the guy that came here his name was Mark.
0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
Well I bought mine Father's Day 2017 which I mean that was over a year ago I thought I had a year warranty maybe I had a two-year warranty I don't know but the fact is it's a manufactured problem and Samsung needs to take responsibility for it. And I was civil when I talk to him although I do remember mentioning that what all these thousands of posts I've been reading about purple patches it seems like somebody could get all these people together they could do some sort of class action suit or at least fill Facebook Twitter and all social media with so many negative complaints about Samsung they would have to do something about it
0 Likes
pstone3
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the info! I'm betting on it was under warranty as if mine was, they said they would of fixed it. LOL!

0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options

Well I bought mine Father's Day 2017 which I mean that was over a year ago I thought I had a year warranty maybe I had a two-year warranty I don't know but the fact is it's a manufactured problem and Samsung needs to take responsibility for it. And I was civil when I talk to him although I do remember mentioning that what all these thousands of posts I've been reading about purple patches it seems like somebody could get all these people together they could do some sort of class action suit or at least fill Facebook Twitter and all social media with so many negative complaints about Samsung they would have to do something about it the telephone number that I contacted Samsung + 800 7 2 6 7864

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Well, I have the problem now for a year and it has not gotten any worse! Whatever happened was an one time event and the process does not seem to spread to other areas of the TV.  Obviously, there is some issue with the backlighting or color addresing of the pixels.  Of course, nothing stops the problem from re-occuring, as we simply have no idea what is causing it.

Another probem that has occured is the "smart" function.  Now, apps fail regularly such as YouTube and Netflix.  The app starts and it then fails immediately.  One would have to restart it (sometimes as much as three times) and it finally works!!  This does not bother me that much as the purple patches, but it is another point of failure!!

I have posted the issue on Facebook and I will keep posting it on other social fora.  I think that if other users do so, a good percentage of the public would eventually catch on to the problem and Samsung would pay some price for its aweful Quality Assurance and customer support!

0 Likes
halix
Apprentice
Options

48ju657048ju6570

my 2.5 years old 48ju6570.  😕

aretzios
Navigator
Options

Wow, this problem is much more extensive than mine.  I think that this TV is done for, and it is time for a new one!!! 

0 Likes
Irishmike
Journeyman
Options

5C3B044C-AD98-4B29-825D-75E0F800E4B8.jpeg

Forget my model but it’s 48” 4K I bought 4 years ago. The purple appeared one day years ago but depending on what you watch it can be tolerable but man it sux

Anyone with deep pockets thinking of getting the law involved? 

0 Likes
Irishmike
Journeyman
Options
Also, does this only appear to be a "4K" issue?

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

I think so.  I am certain that Samsung tried to push its technology to the market as quickly as possible and with as big a volume as possible.  The result was a number of substandard panels. 

0 Likes