Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 11-01-2019 02:57 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
Samsung has finally admitted that this is a manufacturing problem. One of the companies that supplies panels had the problem. So it's not all Samsung TVs. I talked to Samsung five different times and they just showed up at my house and replace the panel for free. I bought my TV Father's Day 2017. Like I said Samsung finally admits that it was a manufacturing problem on the panel from one of the companies that supplies them. to me should have been a recall don't know why they didn't.
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options

I have been given the run around once agian.

0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
What type of problems are you having with Samsung. You know I've been on this site for a while trying to figure mine out. I guess it was after my fifth call I finally got somebody that understood what was going on. we try the reset and I even downloaded new software and loaded it to the TV to no help. The first three people I talked to claim they didn't know nothing about purple patches I even give them the website to go look at all the complaints of purple patches. But the last guy I talked to went out of his way and actually got me a courtesy visit and a courtesy repair, technician showed up at my house and took him 15 minutes one phone call next thing you know I'm getting a new panel at no cost. He told me in so many words that's Samsung knows about the problem turns out one of the manufacturers of the panel was at fault. I think Samsung should have had a recall on those panels don't know why they didn't. I want strangers that panel is 90% of the television the only other thing on that TV was too small circuit boards into speakers a couple other little components that is swap from my old panel to the new one. been easier to just to ship a whole brand new television. But they did the job in my living room taking 30 minutes. One of the things that surprises me after reading all these post for a few months the ease at which Samsung said oh ya sorry we'll fix it don't worry won't cost you a cent. I bought my TV Father's Day 2017 from Walmart.
0 Likes
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options

She kept thowing up that it's out of warranty, its 3 years old, a tv should last longer than that!

I pointed out that many have this issue and that its a manufacturing fault but she just kept going back to warranty.

I gave her the 6 years EU directive....still no luck.

Eventually I demanded she escalate it so I'm supposed to get a phone call at some point.

I really don't think theyre going to do anything though.

Poisonivy
Explorer
Options

Thats my fourth communication with them btw.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Poisonivy wrote:

She kept thowing up that it's out of warranty, its 3 years old, a tv should last longer than that!

I pointed out that many have this issue and that its a manufacturing fault but she just kept going back to warranty.

I gave her the 6 years EU directive....still no luck.

Eventually I demanded she escalate it so I'm supposed to get a phone call at some point.

I really don't think theyre going to do anything though.

If you go on the ks owners more info thread,  there is a link to the Which template page where you put in the issues and it can see if you have a claim. It will do a letter that you can send to your retailers and Samsung. 

0 Likes
Poisonivy
Explorer
Options
Thank you.
0 Likes
Jefrank
Explorer
Options
You know I really don't get why I had got such good treatment from Samsung. When I talk to them I told her I was 70 years old I retired Electronic Engineer civil service I knew how the stuff supposed to work and they were just as nice on the phone as they could be I don't know I don't get it I mean from the time I talked to the last gal my problems got resolved was less than a week they sent a guy down all the way from Atlanta Georgia 80 miles away he took a couple pictures talk to somebody on the phone at the factory and the next thing I know I get a new panel like I said I bought this TV Father's Day 2017. And more or less told me that Samsung was aware of the problem with this specific manufacturer of the panel and they replaced no questions asked.
0 Likes
heartbraden
First Poster
Options

Any idea who you talked to that gave you such good treatment?  Mine has had the purple spots for about a year now and it's only getting worse - afraid that it's going to totally ruin the TV eventually but I don't want to get the runaround that everyone else seems to be getting.

0 Likes
pstone3
Explorer
Options

You got lucky! I was very nice and civil but in the end, it was out of warranty so they basically just told me "Sucks to be you, go pay for the repair!"

0 Likes