Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 30-07-2018 11:55 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
purple-haze
Student
Options
"Same Here"......Purple patch right hand side................If samsung want to keep loyal customers/Repeat sales this problem needs
addressing........... Come on Samsung lets have some answers ...... :-((((
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Your chances here of getting an answer from Samsung is nil!!!  For any admission of faulty design, one would need to get the agreement of the board of this company prior to stating this.  Thus, Samsung will admit nothing.

Leigh84
First Poster
Options

Same here 2.5yrs after buying my ue40h5500 smart tv it has developed a purple patch the size of my hand in the top left corner. 

Not happy what so ever. I bought a 2nd tv 4 months later for another room... It's only a matter of time before that one also ends up with this same problem. 

I was really happy with the picture and sound quality that I was going to upgrade to the new Samsung 4k tv (to complement the new xbox x's)..... Now probably not. Looks like I'll invest in 2 new tvs from another Brand. Poor show Samsung! 

Maryk
First Poster
Options

Same problem here.   I bought my tv at Costco...really disappointed in Samsung. 

aretzios
Navigator
Options

I bought it at Costco, too!! Not that it helps, as it failed after the two-year return period that Costco sets.

Blu7of9
Student
Options

Well this is odd...I have exactly the same issue, however I had slightly knocked my panel a couple of times whilst hoovering and just assumed that's what had done it but at the same time thinking wow what a fragile piece of junk TV that such a small tap did this!

Raging is an understatement!

Also had a Samsung 8kg Ecobubble washing machine which was the most expensive and loudest piece of ***** washing machine I ever wasted my money on and a Samsung Microwave which was so bad at cooking anything you had to add at least three minutes extra. Sold the washing machine and the microwave in the last week. Needless to say I'll never buy anything by this sham company ever again. Wish people would wake up and realise these manufacturers are robbers without the decency to wear a mask! 

Wildthing33
First Poster
Options

My Samsung has same failure as previous customers. It lasted till after warranty expiration.  For such an expensive item, I take advantage of an extended warranty and glad I did as this is the 2nd time a Samsung has failed. Replacement from extended warranty is an LG, which I hope has a better track record. A real shame for when you go to a big retail store, it seems Samsung has a superior picture compared to other tv's. Obviously Samsung should give existing customers an additional year warranty to compensate for this premature failure of components.

pstone3
Explorer
Options

Nooooooo!!!!!

Same here - Costco 65" TV - Purple patches cropped up 2 months ago - out of warranty by 6 months - BOOOOO!!!

This IS greed if not addressed and fixed and sounds very suspect of programmed death after warranty which companies have done before and have been busted for. The thing is Samsung, if you do NOT respond to me and others here, we WILL NEVER buy another Samsung TV again. At least I'm not. I mean seriously... I have a freaken WALMART 40" SCEPTRE that I got for DIRT CHEAP which is 6 years old and it's still PERFECT!!!! WTF?!

FIX THIS!

Blu7of9
Student
Options

I lost my contents insurance I'd had for 5 years because I made a claim for accidental damage as I'd very gently knocked my TV with a hoover hose which I thought had caused these purple patches until I stumbled upon this forum and realised the gravity of what was going on. My insurers then deemed me as too high risk to insure anymore. Double screwed 😞 Worse still they wouldn't pay anywhere near what a replacement set would've cost so triple screwed actually 😢

pstone3
Explorer
Options

Well... just got off the phone with Samsung (US as I'm in the USA and I realize this is a UK forum) but they are less than helpful. Refuse to do anything. And yes, this started after the latest patch happened it seems which is very very suspect. 

Oh well... I'll just join any class action lawsuit and turn this purple monster into a gaming monitor and relive my 80s messed up magnetized gaming TV display glory days XD