Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 13-06-2018 12:25 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
PauloC
Journeyman
Options

Welcome to the pre-apocalypse wasteland... 🙂

0 Likes
ChiefNugget
First Poster
Options

Pretty bummed out to see this thread. My UN60KS8000 is suffering the same purple Haze problem. It started after about six months but was hardly noticeable except when using it as a computer monitor. It's really progressed over the past few months. TV is now just two years old and just about paid off. Will not shell out anything more than a TCL costs for my next TVs.

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

This is a very similar experience to the rest reported here.  A good number of these panels appear to fail after 2 - 3 years.  Considering that only a tiny fraction of these are reported in this forum, this is certainly a major issue that Samsung has managed to keep under wraps for quite some time.  I am sure that many other panels develop similar problems that affect a smaller area of the TV and are not that noticable. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ChiefNugget wrote:

Pretty bummed out to see this thread. My UN60KS8000 is suffering the same purple Haze problem. It started after about six months but was hardly noticeable except when using it as a computer monitor. It's really progressed over the past few months. TV is now just two years old and just about paid off. Will not shell out anything more than a TCL costs for my next TVs.

This seems to be a known fault so you can argue that it was a fault with the tv from day one. If still on fiance you should be able to claim you were sold faulty goods. 

Paul

0 Likes
heartbraden
First Poster
Options

Wow this really sucks.  My 55" 4k tv (UN55JU6400) is just over 2 years old and started developing this problem randomly last week.  Big purple patch on the left side of the screen.  We only use it about 10 hours a week... I've never had a TV go out anywhere nearly so fast, especially with such minimal usage!  I've got a walmart brand cheapo 48" tv I bought for 200 bucks that's lasted 8 years of 24 hour a day use.  What's going on Samsung???  This thing was 800 bucks! I thought you were supposed to be a quality brand for TVs!

Very, very suspicious that so many people are reporting issues with this around the same time.

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

This is getting to be a very consistent story.  All these panels are failing after 2 - 3 years, irrespective of the intensity of use.  I find it impossible to believe that this problem did not show up in regular testing of these panels.  My guess is that Samsung decided to release them anyway, knowing pretty well that the vast majority would fail after the expiration of the warrantee and that the company would pay for nothing at all.  The only companies that seem to have been burned in this must be the insurance companies that offer the extented warrantees!!!  But then again, a minority of users ever bother to buy these warrantees (with a good reason).  At least, this product does not kill you when it goes bad.  I am sure that Samsung is well aware of the problem and it is doing nothing about it.

0 Likes
Neil81
Explorer
Options

I bought my 65" KS8000 this time last year and I'm sad to say my TV is also suffering with the same issue. I have 3 purple blobs on the left edge of the screen. It's very distracting especially when the TV shows white/light colours.

I'm not quite sure what to do. I have only just started paying for another years warranty!

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

If you have a warrantee, exercise it and get a new panel.  This problem cannot be fixed.  You need to replace it.  If you can reach a Samsung certified repair shop, they will get the new panel for you and install it.

0 Likes
ChiefNugget
First Poster
Options

Yes, make your warranty claim as fast as you can. If it were me, I'd probably also sell the TV after it's fixed. Mine is unfortunately out of warranty. The cost of a new panel is about $1,100 for just the part - so it's effectively totaled. I just need to tolerate it a while more until I can afford a new TV. Bad look for Samsung.

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Well, I am tolerating mine for this year.  I intend to buy a new TV by the end of the year.  Samsung does not appear in my list of TVs considered and not only because of this experience.  The current crop of Samsung TVs are overpriced for what they offer.  One can get various other TVs that perform equally well at much lower prices (based on reviews).  Thus, Samsung problems are two-fold: poor quality control and uncompetitive products.   Not that it helps us in any way!!!

0 Likes