Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 13-03-2018 10:27 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Paulo,

Live and learn, my friend, live and learn.  Yes, these panels from Samsung have a very high failure rate.  In fact, their failure rate is much higher than that of Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 phone.  Unfortunately, this failure was publicized extensively and the users did get some relief (but not much).  In our case, this is flying under the radar and Samsung is not likely to do anything.  It is cheaper for Samsung not to solve this problem than to lose a few customers. 

It is quite funny, but my other 4K TV is a Vizio, a cheaper brand but this TV, albeit a bit older (just by months) it still has a perfect picture (not a single pixel has gone bad).

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Just do not bother.  No, it will not fix it.  The whole panel must be replaced.

0 Likes
PauloC
Journeyman
Options

The most stupid thing is that my Samsung TV is the less used by my family and the DVD player was used twenty times or less (dvds aren't very popular these days :-). Just phoned my insurance company and they will replace the tv but this is just sad and I will NEVER trust Samsung again. 

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

PauloC, how did you work out to get the TV replaced by the insurance company?

0 Likes
PauloC
Journeyman
Options

First, I'm Portuguese and bought the tv in the local mediamarkt. At the time I paid 49€ for a 5year total coverage warranty. The agency is british - D&A I think.

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

Thanks.  None of my previous TVs has ever gone bad.  These panels should make it to five years and much more.  In any case, I will replace mind shortly.  The funny thing is that 8K TVs would be out next year (although there would not be any programming for them). 

0 Likes
rodders1
Apprentice
Options

Likewise my UE48H6670 has now got purple patches and shading since purchasing in october 2014.  This is the first tv that I have had in 40 plus years which has developed such a major fault.  I expect a TV screen to last 10 years or more.  They have been that reliable since the early 1970s.  Are these fit for purpose, I say not.  

0 Likes
pocketmoon
First Poster
Options

Sadly just another "same here" reply .   HU7500 48".  Purple patch lower right about 2" wide  running up the right hand side. Has been getting worse over the last year.  

Has Samsung owned up to the issue ?

Rob

UK 

0 Likes
LiamH
Pathfinder
Options

@rodders1@pocketmoon

Does this appear on Picture Test? Menu > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test.

If so, please contact your nearest Service Centre to arrange an inspection with an authorised engineer. 

PauloC
Journeyman
Options

I begin to come to some conclusions about this problem. My television and that of a friend ended up like this, after having the maximum value for the backlight for months. How were your TVs?

0 Likes