Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 01-10-2019 09:18 PM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
Mj65
Pioneer
Options

I have the same problem now gone from one spot to three all I got from Samsung was a number for repair,called it and had a estimate of £400 ,considerably high on a tv not 3year old absolutely disgusting never buy a Samsung tv again

0 Likes
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
Lost my business in future
0 Likes
Mj65
Pioneer
Options
Con men they don’t give a toss
0 Likes
Mj65
Pioneer
Options

27AE3C85-95FD-4188-8176-95D9B3CAE3D0.jpegThis should not happen to my tv which is not 3yr oldThis should not happen to my tv which is not 3yr old

0 Likes
Jaydeesank1
Journeyman
Options
You must go to your retailer and ask that they have the set repaired under consumer laws. This is a common prin a set that should last 6 years or more. Helpful details by another member is under this thread.
0 Likes
Jaydeesank1
Journeyman
Options
Mine went the same way. My set was 4 years old. John Lewis had it repaired and it is as good as new. Samsung were not interested because the retailer is responsible under consumer legislation.
0 Likes
Del6
Explorer
Options

Hi new to thread 

I have 2 n half year old Samsung ue58mu6120 with 4 purple patches and Samsung says its currys problem and currys saying its Samsung problem. Both want to charge me for what is clearly a manufacturing defect. 

Been round in circles with both companies and have just asked for my deadlock letter. I think it's disgusting how these companies have treated the people with this problem and I have approached bbcs watchdog program for help too. Keep fighting peeps we deserve better 

IMG_20191004_103529.jpg

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Del6 wrote:

Hi new to thread 

I have 2 n half year old Samsung ue58mu6120 with 4 purple patches and Samsung says its currys problem and currys saying its Samsung problem. Both want to charge me for what is clearly a manufacturing defect. 

Been round in circles with both companies and have just asked for my deadlock letter. I think it's disgusting how these companies have treated the people with this problem and I have approached bbcs watchdog program for help too. Keep fighting peeps we deserve better 

IMG_20191004_103529.jpg

If you read through this thread there is information that should help. 

But it's the retailer who is responsible. 

Dead lock letter are an excuse to say no when the retailer does not want to do anything. 

Under consumer law 2015 after 6 months up to 6 years, if a known fault the retailer is responsible to either try a repair, and if not successful then you can ask for a replacement, or refund taking in to account usage. 

All the information is here and in the thread ks owners refund move info thread. 

Paul

Hockers
Explorer
Options
Disappointingly, neither Watchdog or consumer magazine Which? even bothered to acknowledge the complaint I made regarding Samsung's manufacturing defect and their terrible customer service. It maybe that it requires a certain volume of complaints to get their attention, so great that you have written to Watchdog and I would urge anyone else with this problem to do the same. We may not get our money back or free repairs, but large scale media exposure may cause sufficient reputational damage that dents Samsungs profits...
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Hockers wrote:
Disappointingly, neither Watchdog or consumer magazine Which? even bothered to acknowledge the complaint I made regarding Samsung's manufacturing defect and their terrible customer service. It maybe that it requires a certain volume of complaints to get their attention, so great that you have written to Watchdog and I would urge anyone else with this problem to do the same. We may not get our money back or free repairs, but large scale media exposure may cause sufficient reputational damage that dents Samsungs profits...

Read from the beginning of this thread and people have got free repairs, or refunds, as consumer law covers up to 6 years. 

Paul

0 Likes