Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

ps5 not recognised by TV (RU7400) and black screen

(Topic created on: 27-12-2020 01:52 PM)
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

My ps5 isn't properly recognised by the Samsung TV - showing as "game console" whereas the ps4 would display as "playstation 4".

This seems to mean it doesn't remember the HDR settings or allow you to turn on game mode automatically, but worse it usually means the ps5 boots up to a flickering black screen

The only way around this (after some experimenting) is to unplug the HDMI cable from the back, turn the HDR back on in Settings for the relevant HDMI port (it always seems to turn this off on unplugging) and then plug it back in. And then turn on Game mode manually.

Annoying to say the least. Anyone having similar issues? Seems potentially fixable with TV firmware I hope...

24 REPLIES 24
CKalo
First Poster
Options

So glad I found this thread. I have a 50in and it's constantly not recognizing the PS5 after it goes into sleep mode. Incredibly frustrating. 

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

After a few weeks I would agree this seems to be the basic workaround. Thank you. 

Basically I have not had the problem since you posted this- if I need to turn hdcp back on though, it seems to cope with that without needing a power cycle. I just have to remember to switch it off again before powering down the ps5, otherwise I'll get the problem again at next startup.

Infuriating, I really hope there is a firmware fix at some point... As you say it's happened with other devices it sounds very much like a Samsung issue not a ps5 issue, so I won't hold my breath for a fix. 

0 Likes
Solution
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

Just going to add to this thread. Clearly as BaronerBertie says, it's an HDCP issue, but I have found a much better fix.

I decided to put an HDMI splitter (the one I have uses HDCP 2.2) in between the ps5 and the TV  and suddenly it works like magic. Although it still doesn't show as a "ps5" so won't turn game mode on and off automatically, there is no more display issue and it will happily turn on properly with HDCP enabled every time (been using this for a week now). HDR remains enabled, and blu rays and streaming apps work fine in 4K.

If anyone is interested, the one I have is an EZcoo 1x2 splitter from Amazon (I just haven't used second output and have the switch set to "copy" mode.) Perhaps it will work with any splitter, I don't know, but this one has worked really well (powers fine from a rear USB port on the ps5).

0 Likes
padlew
First Poster
Options

Been having this problem with my RU7100.

It occurs with both the PS5, and with the Virgin Media V6 box, which shows the TV as not being HDCP 2.2 compliant in its diagnostics.

A full power down of both devices and the TV will reset it for an arbitrary amount of time, before it occurs again and the PS5 will just flicker a black screen, whilst the Virgin Media box will not play any on demand content.

There's nothing else connected to the chain and I am using the provided HDMI cables. Like the rest of you I have therefore concluded this is a software problem with the Samsung TV. Let's hope this thread draws some attention to it.

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

Hi, OP here. From this thread and others I've found on Reddit and elsewhere it definitely seems to be a handshake issue, but the fact it's happening with various devices suggests it's largely at the TV end.

Given other issues with Samsungs I don't hold out much hope for a patch from their end.

The little box I bought from Amazon as a workaround, to go between the ps5 and my TV (see above) has not let me down once in the last few months, have had no more flashing screen, and can have HDCP enabled on the ps5 and able to watch in 4k/hdr again. 

0 Likes
GaryGnu
First Poster
Options

I'm going to give this a try with a splitter and see what happens. I had no issues for months then my PS5,  black screens and HDMI drops on my Samsung QLED 7 series tv. Then, to make matters worse, HDMI doesn't work for anything else. I need to unplug from the wall my PS5, TV and XBOX every time this happens for a minute or more to get it to work. Older XBOX One has no issue by itself, nor Fire Cube. I've scoured every forum across PS5 and Samsung. I've done every trick, have every update, etc. you can think of. I'm ordering a new, more expensive HDMI 2.1 cable (had 2.0) and a splitter and go from there. After that, if still drops, will try on my 720p Vizio bedroom tv and see if it still happens. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the splitter!

0 Likes
GaryGnu
First Poster
Options

Update:

Plugging my PS5 into my cheezy bedroom tv and no issues at all, tested for hours over a few days. I read Samsung TV's, the box that controls everything and hooks all cables into can have issues. Back to the Samsung TV. Used a new 2.1 HDMI quality cable and issue came back still. Wasn't until I used a splitter that everything is working! Many hours, not one incident and life is back to normal. Thanks again for the information. Wanted to follow up in the event someone else with a Samsung TV falls victim.

0 Likes
padlew
First Poster
Options

Since my last post I have found a faster solution to this when it happens to the PS5, rather than turning everything off at the power and rebooting.

Which is to hold the power button on the remote for a few seconds until the TV reboots. The PS5 needs to be off while you do this.  If you are using HDMI-CEC you might find it interferes so I’ve turned that off. But doing this every so often before I turn the PS5 on seems to prevent the issue ever occurring.

0 Likes
NaumanSiddiqui
First Poster
Options

Anyone find a solution? it is happening to both my ps4 and ps5

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

Yes - OP here - solved it with an hdmi splitter as outlined in previous posts. It's worked fine for 18 months now (in fact I had to get a second one because a virgin tv box did exactly the same thing).

0 Likes