Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

ps5 not recognised by TV (RU7400) and black screen

(Topic created on: 12-12-2020 10:26 AM)
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

My ps5 isn't properly recognised by the Samsung TV - showing as "game console" whereas the ps4 would display as "playstation 4".

This seems to mean it doesn't remember the HDR settings or allow you to turn on game mode automatically, but worse it usually means the ps5 boots up to a flickering black screen

The only way around this (after some experimenting) is to unplug the HDMI cable from the back, turn the HDR back on in Settings for the relevant HDMI port (it always seems to turn this off on unplugging) and then plug it back in. And then turn on Game mode manually.

Annoying to say the least. Anyone having similar issues? Seems potentially fixable with TV firmware I hope...

24 REPLIES 24
LPDH1
Student
Options

Same issue on a RU7300, however once I get the issue I have to swap my cable to a different HDMI port for it to display properly. Very annoying 

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

In case it helps you, what seems to have worked for me (so far anyway! Only 24 hours...) is going to ps5 settings -> screen and video and setting the 4K video transfer rate to "-1". (only other thing I changed was to put it into HDMI 1 port)

Although the TV still doesn't recognise the ps5 properly - it's still just a "game console" and doesn't switch game mode on and off automatically, it seems to display OK when switched on, so no need to pull the HDMI lead any more, so at least I only have to adjust this setting from the sofa.

Hopefully there will be a TV update for proper recognition at some point...

Hope it works for you too.

0 Likes
BelfastBootneck
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same problem with my RU7100 and the only work around to get it to stay on I’ve found is to change the PS5 screen resolution to 1080P which is defeating the purpose.

if anyone finds a solution please let me know!

0 Likes
LPDH1
Student
Options

Back again, issue still occurring a bit with your suggestion but at least now I only have to switch the HDMI rather than do a hard restart of the console. 

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options

It didn't last much longer for me either. I can still get it to work by pulling the hdmi and replacing, although sometimes have to flick HDR back on. 

I'm not sure if it's the TV or the ps5 to blame here though. Maybe a bit of both. 

Next experiment is with RGB on limited. 

0 Likes
Jaap7
Apprentice
Options

Same problem for me, very annoying. I still had my PS4, so I hooked that up to my TV (using the cable from my ps5). The HDMI port then got set to PS4. Then I moved the cable back from the PS4 to ps5. Important to not unplug the side that's in the TV, then it loses the setting again. This is an issue though as I want to sell my PS4. Please fix it so the ps5 gets recognised properly, so it turns to game mode etc automatically afterwards. I have a 43nu7402

0 Likes
Michael_1987
First Poster
Options

I'm having the similar problems with my 65" Q95T, somtimes the Ps5 starts with no sound and I have to restart the console to get the sound back other times its just a black screen. I'm glad I found this thread I was beginning to think my Ps5 was faulty.

0 Likes
Solution
BaronerBertie
First Poster
Options

I googled this because I had solved it for now with an RU7100 TV. I had the same issue before with a Sky Q box. 

It is HDCP. If you cannot see the screen(flickering a little or just black) then pull the power cord from the back of the TV, just for a second, put it back in. You get to the PS5 screen then, go to settings and turn OFF HDCP

The thing that this also does is equally annoying. IF you wish then to watch a blu ray/dvd etc then you will be forced to turn back on HDCP which of course causes the issue again, quick power cycle and you can watch your movie.

Then back to turning it off. 

I have had this issue with a Sky Q box for over a year and Samsung blamed bSkyQ and they blamed Samsung, I moved the TV to another room, but getting the PS5 brought the issue back.

Summary - It's HDCP, power cycle tv and turn off HDCP in PS5 settings. 

Banjoman
Explorer
Options

Thanks, I will give it a go as my issue has started coming back.

Would be nice if a fix was applied at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

The one thing I've learned is that at least the cheaper Samsung TVs seem to be plagued by issues, whether memory, no 5ghz wifi, issues with game consoles. I certainly wouldn't buy another Samsung, given the lack of fixes. 

0 Likes