Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 09-07-2020 03:56 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
Johng11
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew

i have you can give me some information on this issue before I return the product back to my retailer as they re not fit for purpose. Please see my posting below

I also have a major problem with the new Samsung Q80T tv and Q70T SB. I bought these product in late July and the TV and SB on the first TV I received form my retailer who not connect via the eARC port.
My retailer has now replace both TV and SB on the 13th of August and although I was able to get the SB to connect initially to the replacement  TV, after switching the TV on again the next day, the SB would no longer connect and the eARC port was showing no connect. The Q Symphony feature disappeared, even though it worked first time. I have now reset and set up the TV 4 more time, and this is happening every time 

Contacting Samsung support which was a waste of time, as they frankly do not know what they are doing. You might expect and issue connecting via the eARC port when using say a SONO SB but surely not between two Samsung products?

0 Likes
Johng11
Journeyman
Options

Hi Mike
Had exactly the same response from Samsung technical support on chat Completely useless then cut me off when I challenged them. 

Hernan4Gov
Journeyman
Options

This is so frustrating.  I just bought a Sonos Arc to use with my new Frame 2020 TV.  Do we have any update on when this might be fixed?

0 Likes
Jogaff
Student
Options

I am experiencing the same issue with a Q95T and a Sonos Arc. Is there any updates?

Trantor2020
Student
Options

Hi Mike,

I don't have the Sonos Arc, but this might be worth a try:

I've just replaced an older Samsung JU6400 with the 55'' Q95T and in the process, I switched from the optical connection to my Denon AV to HDMI/ARC, because it's a new TV and might upgrade my speaker to get Atmos.

Everything is going thru my AV (Cable box, Blu Ray). 

The Samsung didn't event detect/enable the ARC connection. In addition, my Denon AV went completely mute - even the tuner/radio gave no sound at all. Connected everything directly to the Samsung box - same result, no ARC detected.

I then found somewhere in a forum (can't remember where) a post, where the cable box caused the ARC on TVs, different brands, getting disabled.

Disconnected everything from the Samsung and only connected the AV to the HDMI 3/eArc = Arc did enable at first power on of the TV, message popped up "Atmos device detected", sound and everything all working.

Long story short, My Virgin "Horizon" box, which is funny enough also based on Samsung, is causing the eArc option to disappear on the TV. no matter if connected to the AV or directly to the Samsung box over HDMI.

Still not sure how or why, but that's for another day.

Just want to mention, if searching the internet, all brands seem to have the same or similar issues.

If you connect each device one-by-one, it might show you the culprit.

I'm not sure if it's really a Samsung problem, a compatibility issue, or a general gap in the support of the eArc/ARC protocol with older devices.     

Johng11
Journeyman
Options

Further update on my post about the issue of connecting a SB via eARC HDMI3 Port. After a frustrating 3 weeks of contact with Samsung support, I finally got them to send an engineer to try to resolve the issue. He changed the main PCB in the TV which made no difference at all. The SB is still disconnecting even though it initially connected at the setup stage. It appears that Samsung have an issue with the 2020 Q80T TV and Q70T SB. I have send detailed information including pictures of the screens from the TV but they just ignore them. Terrible service just goes on and on. Last Samsung device I will buy, just sorry I made the mistake of choosing Samsung

0 Likes
Hernan4Gov
Journeyman
Options

Hrantor2020 -

I have 'The Frame 2020' Samsung TV & the Sonos Arc.  I can successfully get the Sonos to play audio from the TV via HDMI and be detected by the TV (and also an Apple TV 4) as an Atmos device.  The problem here is that you have to disable the eARC setting in order to get this to work.  So, the Sonos (or any other eARC device) will only operate at ARC bandwidth - not eARC bandwidth.  This severely limits the audio quality that can be passed to the soundbar. 

My config on the TV is:
- Hookup the soundbar to HDMI3/eARC

- Disable eARC in the settings

- Enable Dolby Atmos in the settings

This works fine for DD 5.1 and even DD+, but wont' enable pure Atmos and/or high bandwidth audio.

Neoshan
Student
Options

Hello,

please be informed that this problem is NOT Sonos exckusive. I experience the same with my Denon x2600h AVR (well, almost the same thing - sometimes it works for some reason).

Can we have a fix for this, Samsung?

MrBenLogan
Apprentice
Options

Yet another frustrated customer here with the same issue. Can we really not get an update out of Samsung on this!? Please!

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi all!

Some good news on this! The issue has been identified and a fix will be included in the next Software release.