Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 09-07-2020 03:56 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
colForbin88
Student
Options

Yes, I manually downloaded and updated. Sonos has an update available too. eARC auto is turned on and everything is solid! Very happy about this!

ajibarra
Explorer
Options

Great! Yeah I have updated my Sonos system today.. will wait until update from Samsung is available here.

0 Likes
Hernan4Gov
Journeyman
Options

Success!  But it took a bit of effort.  I have The Frame 2020 and a Sonos Arc.  I manually downloaded the firmware to USB and updated the TV.  Also, I downloaded the latest Sonos updates and updated my Arc. 

At first, all of the same problems continued (no sound and/or sound cutting in/out) when I watched live TV and/or used the Samsung TV apps (Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+).  I disabled eARC and Atmos, fired up my Apple TV and then re-enabled eARC and Atmos - everything worked on the Apple TV.  I then tried live TV & the built-in apps, they worked and the Sonos app showed Atmos for the first time.

Not sure why things didn't work immediately, but FYI to others that it may require some fiddling to get yours to work once the firmware is updated.

marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

This is great news indeed.

So in the UK we need to wait for this to be released

Harlequin66
Explorer
Options

I have a 2020 Q95T and have a similar issue. If I connect my UHD 4K BRP to ANY HDMI port on the one connect box, audio is only output as 2ch PCM audio to the sound bar. I have BRP audio output set to bitstream, DD+ enabled, pass through enabled on tv etc but to no avail.

If I connect the BRP directly to the sound bar, it shows DTS, DTS+, ATMOS etc and sounds great. I have been onto Samsung tech support a dozen times, they can't figure it out either. It's a PITA because I cannot watch a DVD/BR without having the soundbar turned on.

0 Likes
Harlequin66
Explorer
Options

Took my Sonos back, not the TV and bought an LG SN11rg sound bar. It can handle anything you throw at it & sounds great!

Supports DTS, DTS-X, DTS+, ATMOS etc and yes, has eARC. 

0 Likes
ianzabel
First Poster
Options

I tried to update Frame 55 (2020) to the new firmware available here.  But the TV doesn't recognize it via USB. It just says there are no updates available. 

I noticed the instructions say there should be a file called SWU_AUTO_FLAG extracted from the .zip file, but there is none in this update. I tried creating an empty file by that name, and it didn't help.

Checking the Internet for updates in the settings also does not find an update. I'm in the US.

Anyone else figure out how to get this installed?

0 Likes
Hernan4Gov
Journeyman
Options

Hi ianzabel.  For me, I formatted the USB stick as FAT32, then unzipped the main folder (I forget the name) to the USB drive  I did not have/need the SWU_AUTO_FLAG either.  I put the USB into the slot that is on the right side of the OneConnect box did a full turn off of the set, then turned it on.  Once on, I went to settings and update, and it picked up the USB file.

0 Likes
ajibarra
Explorer
Options

It looks like Samsung forgot to update Europe site and we will never get the update. I will wait until Monday before returning my tv.

0 Likes
PaulMW
Journeyman
Options

Just spoken to the UK support team, apparently it's in the works with the engineering team and I'll be notified by e-mail when it's ready.

The US version won't work with the UK sets as thought so best to avoid that.

It's supposed to be ready by the end of October, but this is tentative as no further updates as of yet from HO.