Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 08-12-2020 08:16 AM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
M4_RKB
Apprentice
Options

Sadly I only started reading into this after buying the Sonos Arc and what I though was the latest in the Samsung range in the 65” Q95t.. I thought it would be as simple as plug and play but quickly realised I was getting intermittent sound with it cutting in and out.. I am not up on my tech but know this kit is meant to be top of the range.. I have everything plugged in through eArc and set to eArc auto etc but sometimes it recognises it as eArc and other times as receiver hdmi?? The only work around I have found for this so far is to unplug the sound bar every night and plug in when I want to watch which is so far from ideal for over £3k of the latest technology..

Really hope they find a fix for this quickly! 

0 Likes
M4_RKB
Apprentice
Options

Has this been resolved yet? I set up my q95t and Sonos arc on the weekend and immediately experienced all the issues being complained about... not good 

0 Likes
waclark57
Apprentice
Options

I have found that switching to PCM for digital sound output works. 

that said, I have yet to find any source that produces Atomos output.  I get a lot of MultiChannel PCM but never Atmos.

I have The Frame 75” and Arc. 

0 Likes
steveru621
Apprentice
Options

Netflix has some.

0 Likes
waclark57
Apprentice
Options

I’ve tried a couple sources. I’ll try Netflix but  wondering if the apps on the Samsung will output Atmos. 

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

I hate to say I don’t think it’s fixable. Ever. The only way to guarantee no issue and compromise, is to use the HDMI optical adapter which came with the Arc. For that you’ll only get 2.0 for TV and 5.1 with Apps. I spent hours trying to find a solution for Atmos. I had it working several times. But constant dropout, hard resets, new leads etc. have resulted in my returning the Q95T. The only App I could find with Atmos on the Samsung is Netflix. Disney, Apple and Prime Apps all appear to be 5.1 only. Others here have used Amazon Cube or alternative streaming devices for Apps, but why when you’ve paid for a high-end model with all the bells and whistles! I did consider the LG GX as an alternative. I know, making the switch to OLED. But A) It too has the same eArc issues B) there is a known VRR issue which is unfixed to date and C) I just don’t think OLED is comparable to the picture I get with Samsung. So alas no alternative either! The advice I’ve had is to hold on to your cash until 2021 if you can. TVs are likely to take a significant leap forward next year. And there was me so enjoying the new XBOX X and all the other benefits of a shiny new Samsung. But this for me is a non-negotiable. If you’ve paid 3k for a TV with the functionality it claims to have, then it should all just work. Period. Hopefully it will be fixed for the next range of QLEDs. 

M4_RKB
Apprentice
Options

I think what’s as frustrating for me is that on a 21 page string of complaints I can see only a handful of responses from Samsung which is quite honestly shocking and really poor customer service...

marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

I don’t think there are any Samsung staff here?  I’ve never seen any comments from them.

I totally agree, it’s disgraceful.

0 Likes
SONOSARC
Journeyman
Options

Hi Scoops, what tv will you get in the meantime. I want to return mine but have no idea what to replace it with. Like you said I believe the LG has the same issues. Need a half decent cheaper alternative to use until buying a decent one next year. 

0 Likes
SB700
First Poster
Options

I’m connecting my Samsung 7series 2020 model to Bose 700 soundbar through eARC and have the same issue of Digital Audio output falling back to “Auto” from “pass-through” . The pass-through option gives exceptional audio quality over  PCM and AUTO modes but it’s sad that it doesn’t stay consistent and keeps falling back to auto.