Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 02-12-2020 10:10 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Had interesting convo with someone in industry today. They believe the issue is actually the combined source/power optical cable which runs to One Connect box. Apparently this combined cable has led to signal conflict (meaning the unit keeps switching between auto feature etc explaining the sound drop out) which has been prominent in all units since 2019 for eArc where One Connect is used. Interested to hear if people without a One Connect, where inputs are on the rear of TV, are having the same eArc issue? In which case the theory may be debunked. 

0 Likes
marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

There’s another loooong post (with lots of people on it) that clearly shows only the One Connect box TVs have the issue and the ones without do not have the issue.

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Thanks marky_uk. Pretty much settles it then. 

0 Likes
Rockett0
Student
Options

Can you link to that article, my search skills didn't find it. 

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

After a couple of days writing on here about a solution i found for the original problem before i brought the q95t, i now have it, plugged my sonos arc in Earc, my amazon cube into game hdmi 4. And turned off Earc in settings... I have atmos. 

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

I just brought the q95t, plugged my sonos arc into earc, amazon cube into game hdmi 4, turned earc off in sound settings and usimg the cube i get atmos in netflix, prime etc.. No issues even tho the Earc is turned off still says connection sonos arc. Maybe they programed wrong.. Instead of earc on, maybe its off? So im kinda usimg it like a passthrough from my cube but its easy.. Mite not need the hd fury 4k after all. 

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Sounds like an intriguing approach but as others say it should just work. End of. Instead you’ve had to engineer your own solution. Admirable as it is and glad it appears to work. But I’m not going to blow more money on something which has already cost a significant amount due to its premium nature. 

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

So. Having spent considerable time reviewing alternatives I see the issue is also prevalent with LG GX models and others? Seriously? What’s going on here! Anyone who has replaced their Sammy for an LG. Is this true? 

0 Likes
marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

Hey hey

Sure, my problem now is that I follow this conversation on Reddit (two subs), Sonos forums, and UK and Dutch and US Samsung forums so I forget which one it was, haha!

It may be this - https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-samsung-earc-compatibility-issues-6...- a few people talk about US (which doesn't sell any Samsung TV with One Connect box) and UK

Same convo happening here - https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-doesn-t-work-with-samsung-tv-q95t-if-you-want...

On it goes - this was my Google search

0 Likes
crawley86
Apprentice
Options

I'm gonna ask a pretty naive question... How can you confirm that Dolby Atmos is working?