Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 28-11-2020 02:33 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
Charlsburg
Pioneer
Options

If you have an AVR that is 4k@120hz HDMI 2.1 compatible, you will find there is currently an issue with ALL AVR HDMI 2.1 chipsets that won't allow you to use your next gen console to stream 4k@120hz.

That means to use your next gen console you need to go directly into the TV, but the real kicker is this:  to go directly into the TV means you need to pass sound back to your amp via eARC, and hey guess who's eARC hasn't worked in years?  Yep, ALL SAMSUNG TVs.

So yes, if you have next gen consoles, if you want 4k@120hz,  If you want Atmos sound; the answer is this : Samsung are non-responsive and refuse to comment on this long standing issue.  Do not buy a Samsung TV, or return your existing one.

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

That would be great marky_uk. Really want this to work. Can you email instructions or post/link to them here please? Whatever is easiest. 

0 Likes
Charlsburg
Pioneer
Options

Its very likely not unfixable, its likely a firmware issue - but without it being given any kind of priority who knows if it will ever be fixed?

Its been around since 2019, so do with that what you will.  

Without Samsungs communication on the matter its correct to assume they will not prioritise this or amend it, so until they do make a statement the safe option is to return your TV.

Also you don't pay for flagship to have "mostly working" sound.  Its like going to a restaurant and being okay with a "mostly warm" pizza.

0 Likes
marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

Hey @Scoops77 - take a look over here at this Dutch thread - https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect...

See if that helps - I think things get more interesting from page 5 onwards.  if that doesn't help, please come back to me and I'll post some instructions.

Firstly, make sure you're running the latest firmware!  This is my model and the firmware is 1403.1 - https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE75Q95TATXXU/

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Thanks. Issue I have is our lounge is like a conservatory with massive open windows. So always gone Samsung for daylight benefits/bright environments. Downside being night not so great for blacks. 

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Well @marky_uk I can verify Dolby ATMOS is currently streaming via my ARC (Netflix app on TV) and 5.1 also functioning. For now! Fingers crossed 🤞

0 Likes
marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

Well what do you know :-). Whoop!

0 Likes
Rockett0
Student
Options

I just purchased a frame 75 and arc. 

- like others I had no issues for days.

- then no sound.

-then sound cutting out.

now when it messes up.

1. I cut power to the sonos arc.

2. pull the hdmi connection.

3. wait for sonos to reconnect to wifi.

4.plug the hdmi back into the one connect box.

5. I don't make any changes in the samsung menu.

Screenshot_20201127-192900.jpg

0 Likes
waclark57
Apprentice
Options

I usually just switch to PCM for Digital Output instead of Auto. That "fixes" things for a while and eventually I switch back to auto and all works fine. 

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

If all fails and you dont have a reciver, then this mite be the answer to the problem... https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

0 Likes