Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 27-11-2020 06:39 AM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

So everything is all working now no problems, simply plug and play? I can go ahead with my new purchase? 

0 Likes
Charlsburg
Pioneer
Options

The 1402 and 1403 provided fixes for some, temporary fixes for others, and didn't change anything for many more.

The issue persists, and its not limited to Sonos sound bars but rather any AVR or system that rely on eARC connectivity.  Its due to the HDMI 2.1 port firmware not confirming correctly to eARC standards, and its been an existing issue since 2019.

Until the issue is non-existent it should remain (or in this case be finally acknowledged) a major issue

marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

It works perfectly for me.  I’ve waited patiently for this, for about 6 months and followed a good number of threads  on here, Dutch forums and more.  I sold my Q9FN to get the Q95T specifically for eARC, and flogged some really good hifi kit and speakers to go Sonos, simplify and also end up with cash back in my pocket.  Mine all works.  Perhaps yours won’t.

I’d say nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Buy it, make sure your purchase is covered for opening and testing for a few days, with a full refund if you’re not happy, and also try and make sure you get your return delivery covered (or can take back to the shop) otherwise you’re going to be out of pocket if it doesn’t work.  And then at least you’ve tried and then can buy something else if it’s you’re not happy.

0 Likes
Jocke
Journeyman
Options

It does not work well enough for me. When playing Atmos material, connected with eArc, I get total silence for like 2 seconds once and a while. Not what you want in the middle of a movie with rather expensive gear. 

I can disable Atmos on the TV to stop these sound drop outs from occurring, and get decent sound, but I want to be able to play Atmos sound, since that is what I paid for. 

And the silence from Samsung is also rather annoying. Have they acknowledged there is a problem anywhere? At least Sonos have done that and stated they are working on this with Samsung, but they are in the hands of Samsung if I understand this correctly. 

Having a Frame 2020 and a Sonos Arc, both wit the latest updates. 

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

What about the q800 and the q900? Is that still the same issue as the 95t?

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Hello. Just received a 2020 Q95T 4K model. Am having the same issue with Sonos Arc. Either sound cuts out intermittently OR when working the Sonos Arc is stating via app that Audio In: Stereo PCM 2.0 so not 5.1? Also no Dolby Atmos icon appearing in app when streaming. Please help Chris? Did you say an update was imminent? Thanks. 

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

Hi i am in the same boat as yourself apart from i haven't purchased just yet, im asking questions to get around this, ino that the netflix in app on the Samsung doesn't support dolby atmos. So im asking for anybody to answer me.. If i purchased a amazon cube 4k with atmos,.. Can i plug into the tv and passthrough to my sonos arc?? Using netflix on the cube etc?? 

0 Likes
Scoops77
Explorer
Options

Not sure TBH.  I’ve read it might be a One Connect box issue? So your route might not make a difference. Even more frustrating as you pay a premium for it over the unit with all connections on back of TV. I’ve been a Samsung TV fan for many years but this has really knocked my love of their products. I’m hoping an update is imminent from Samsung/Sonos to fix this! 

0 Likes
marky_uk
Pioneer
Options

What version is your firmware?

Did you update your firmware when you received it?

After I updated I unplugged every cable, powered off at the wall and powered back on after a good while.  I then only connected the power, One Connect cable and HDMI for the Sonos Arc (in port HDMI 3).

and then make sure to select Sound - Expert Settings, and enable HDMI-eARC Mode auto, Digital output as Pass-through, Dolby Atmos compatibility - checked, and then Sound output is Receiver (HDMI-eARC).

that should be it.  If not, enable and disable those settings again.  I had to power cycle twice I think until it was then stable ever since, a number of weeks ago (apart from the infrequent sound dropouts / twice this eve over 2-3h)

0 Likes
Jayze1988
Journeyman
Options

Marky, so my theory with the amazon cube? Would that work flawlessly? As its just being passed through to the soundbar? 

0 Likes