Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor connection

(Topic created on: 30-12-2018 06:26 PM)
Floramac
First Poster
Options

My Samsung Samrt Tv ( not new) has never been good with catch up, iPlayer etc. Having it set on lowest quality and putting up with some buffering, could just about get away with it ( as it is in the kitchen!). It has gradually got worse and now won't even show any programme, The speed test is horrendous.  Just wondering if the Wi-Fi in the tv can be replaced or do I need a new TV? It is a UE22F5400AK, approx 6 years old.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Floramac
First Poster
Options
Just to add to the above, I am waiting for an extra long Ethernet cable to test but the location is terrible to hard wire.
0 Likes
TracyR
Options

Hey @Floramac

There could be a few reasons why this is happening:

- Your TV may be too far from your router to enjoy a stable responsive connection

- The WiFi module in your TV may be worn out or faulty

You could test this by temporarily moving your TV closer to the router to see if this resolves the issue.

If it does you may want to invest in a WiFi booster, I have one in my house to allow for a wider signal range.

It would allow you to connect the main hub to your router and connect the extender to a plug socket in your kitchen - you could then use a shorter ethernet cable to connect the extender to the TV. 

I hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain without a diagram - I mean I can test my MS Paint skills if you really want me to :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
Floramac
First Poster
Options

Thanks, that makes sense.  If it does not improve if moved closer, can the Wi-Fi element be replaced? Is this a common thing?

0 Likes
TomF
Options

We wouldn't say this is a common occurrence; however it can be looked into by an authorised Samsung Engineer. They'd let you know the root cause and if any repairs need to be carried out. As you've had your TV for around 6 years, this would be chargeable.

First try moving your TV closer to your router and see if the signal improves :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Floramac
First Poster
Options

Hello,  I managed to move things around and position the router towards the centre of the house. It worked! The connection is now good.  However, the router is not in a good place so, will a wi fi extender do the same, do they really work?

Thanks

0 Likes
TomF
Options

Awesome @Floramac! If you're referring to the Wi-Fi Booster, then they really do give the signal a better reach. Why's your Wi-Fi not in a good place? 

0 Likes
Floramac
First Poster
Options

The router is currently balanced outside the office upstairs in a very bad position. If a wi

0 Likes
Floramac
First Poster
Options

Posted too soon! If a wi fi booster will work, I can put the router back in my office with the Pcs and plug the booster in downstairs to extend the signal?

0 Likes
TomF
Options
I cannot say for sure what will or will not work; however in your situation , it's definitely worth giving it a try. Seem to work wonders for @TracyR!
0 Likes