Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play H.265 files and more on Samsung Q8 using network

(Topic created on: 12-10-2018 05:24 PM)
JJ14
Student
Options

Recently i purchased a new tv (Samsung Q8 2018 model) and i wonder how to properly play media files on it without using a pc. I want to be able to play all the popular files like h.264, h.265, mkv etc etc. Including HD sound, Atmos and subtitles. (There seems to be a problem when adding subtitles in some setups)

Right now i have a pc in my living room with a plex server on it. From there i stream files using the plex app on the Samsung tv. I want to get rid of this big desktop computer in the living room and replace it with a small raspberry or a cheap nuc just for some internet browsing etc. So i need another solution to play media files. Ofcourse a NAS is the perfect solution, but thats again another large device added to the collection, not to mention the high cost. I would prefer an alternative.

I am concidering another option: Netgear Nighthawk X10. The X10 is a high end router and has a built in Plex server and  USB 3.0 slots for external harddrives. It is advertised to be able to stream (not decode) 4k content. I guess that should be correct since both the wifi and the usb connected harddrive can transfer data fast enough for that. According to several reviews the processor is to weak to decode some file types like H.265. The netgear can decode everything up to 1080p. 

Can the Samsung Q8 2018 decode those 4k files that the netgear cant? 

Is there anyone using this setup and is it working well? Or is there another option which works well with this tv?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
JJ14
Student
Options

Forgot to mention: Is there also another (cheaper) router that could do this? Or is taking the X10 advisable? I really only selected this router because of the plex and 4k streaming ability. The wifi speed and other 'router stuff' on cheaper routers is still much higher as any internet provider here offers. So besides the streaming power i see no advantage in taking this router at all.

0 Likes