Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical out won't turn off

(Topic created on: 08-11-2019 05:01 PM)
Parrydave44
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Am using the optical output of my new Q6fn to a stereo amp.  Set to PCM and works fine.  

The problem is, when I switch sound output to the TV speaker, the optical output stays active and I get sound from both.  Thought I should be able to switch between the two?

Have done factory reset and tried different optical cable.

Is this normal or a fault?

Thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Joost48
Navigator
Options

This is not a fault.

The optical connection has a constant output.

In this configuration You can't even use your tv remote control to adjust volume.

Connect your stereo amp. with a HDMI cable if possible.

0 Likes
protasio
First Poster
Options

Hello All,

not exactly the same question but the topic  is quite close to my issue.

I have my new Samsung TV (QE65Q90) connected to my receiver yamaha through optical cable. During the seting of the smart remote there is a step to check if the receiver turns ON/OFF and it does. 

During normal use of the system when I use the Vol Up/Down it adjusts properly on receiver as well, but I don't seem to know how to turn the receiver off. Ideally when I turn off the TV the receiver should go off and when turning the TV it should come on also... But it always stays on.

I've gone through the settings but don't seem to find anything that solves this. Any ideas?

WillMcD
Journeyman
Options

I have the EXACT same problem and have been looking everywhere to find a solution, but I haven't seen anything.  I have a Harman Kardon AVR247 so it came out before HDMI ARC so Optical is my only option.  I had a cheaper LG TV as my last TV and didn't have this problem, but my Samsung UN55MU6300 has always had this problem. It stopped cutting on and off with my Apple TV before I found a suggestion that you unplug everything for 5 minutes and plug it back in and it actually did fix that part of it.  I have to use so many remotes and it's super annoying when my TV won't just cut off the Receiver like my other TV's.

bodosko
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem, I can vontrol volume up down mute, but cant turn my Sony HT on/off. 

Anyone got this working?

dndssc
Student
Options

Add the on off feature of our receiver with an update, please!!

ramdelos
First Poster
Options
Totally agree! Same problem here. The remote is able to turn on/off the audio device (we know it because of the setup tests) but at the end of the day there is no way that it does it automatically together with the TV
RunCVB
First Poster
Options

Same issue. ONKYO Receiver.

When I switch from TV sound to optical. It should turn on the Receiver, and when I switch back to TV it should turn off. Just that easy.

WillMcD
Journeyman
Options

I wish they had and I thought it was just me or I had a faulty device since I've had other TV's for years that would control the power on my sound receivers, but Samsung doesn't support that to this day.  From everything I've read they won't even acknowledge that it's an issue or that the problems of the inputs stopping working altogether until you unplug everything for 5 minutes. 

WillMcD
Journeyman
Options
No no no that's WAYYYYY too complicated for TV's made in 2017-18.