Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio no volume control

(Topic created on: 18-03-2020 03:05 PM)
drou
Pioneer
Options

My TV is UE 50 RU7402. My speakers are Edifier R1280DB.

If I connect them through optical (toslink), I can't control the volume with Samsung's One remote. When I press volume up or down, the tv shows on screen the word "optical" and nothing happens.

Is there a way to control the volume?

If I understand correctly, when I search through TV settings it is possible to control speakers or AV receivers from other brands when connected with optical cable. So the optical connection  isn't "fixed". Why not having it "open" for all brands?

Is this going to change in the future with an update?

P.S. If I connect them through bluetooth I can control the volume with One remote just fine. But I prefer the sound through optical. Also, I have to re-pair the speakers every time I power on the TV.

141 REPLIES 141
porrasus1
Apprentice
Options

Same here, neither bluetooth or optical can be controlled with remote one, on an LG TV works great

0 Likes
GALAXY-SPANNER
Explorer
Options

Same issue still unable to control sound when jacked with optical is annoying but workable, however the fact that both the tv and soundbar sound seems to act independatly and sounds awful when on together is one thing, the bluetooth always requiring re-connecting is BEYOND rediculous...

NV2023
First Poster
Options

The YouTube video above worked for my JBL 2.1 soundbar

0 Likes
Craig Olson
Journeyman
Options

That solution only works for a handful of predetermined equipment. Why Samsung has no volume control is beyond comprehension.

0 Likes
Drezkosher
Student
Options

I paired my edifier r1855db with Samsung universal remote after selecting edifier brand and the model number in the power test.

samsung remote is only able to mute and unmute the speakers. It doesn't increase or decrease the volume.

0 Likes
Drezkosher
Student
Options

I followed above steps to pair edifier r1855db speakers with Samsung one remote. I searched for edifier and model number. Then did a power test - the speakers restarted. Now I am able to mute or unmute via Samsung remote but unable to increase or decrease the volume.

0 Likes
Analog_B
First Poster
Options

This is only a digital solution to connect your Samsung remote to a theatre system.  The remote will end up controlling the volume on the digital audio system.  Volume control will not work if you have the optic audio going to an optical analog convertor.  It is ridiculous that Samsung does not offer an ANALOG OUTPUT.  This may force me to send the T.V. back if I don't find a work-around.  I have a wonderful ANALOG stereo system.           

Options

@Analog_B For my setup, I am able to have the Frame TV remote control the volume of an analog receiver connected to a converter and then to the Samsung optical.

Take a look at my post on page 10 of this thread.  I tried all sorts of things to get this to work and when I finally got it working, I documented it in the hopes it would help others.  I also have an Analog stereo and it works for me. 

This is the $9 digital to analog converter I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AWBA8U8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: When the TV sound source is TV speaker, I can switch to Optical sound source and the TV speaker automatically mutes.  Then I just turn up the volume on the Optical.  When I want to switch back from Optical sound source to TV speaker, I have to turn the Optical all the way down and be sure it is silent before switching back to TV speaker.
So:
In TV speaker mode, it will play sound from both the TV speaker and the Optical source.  Setting the optical source volume to 0 solves this.

In Optical sound mode, it will only play sound from the Optical source.

ETA 2:

First follow RVRoo's instructions:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/optical-audio-no-volume-control/td-p/1616348/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1ha...

Then folllow my previous post:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/optical-audio-no-volume-control/td-p/1616348/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1ha...

0 Likes
porrasus1
Apprentice
Options

Thats exactly what I did, no more samsung TVs at home

Helpishere
First Poster
Options

I searched for a solution a very long time, but finally found it. 
Get your Samsung TV Remote and go to ‘Source’. Select ‘Universal Remote’ in the far right. Here choose ‘New device’ and select ‘Optical’. Finish the setup and you should be able to control the soundbar with your TV Remote.