Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

NU7100 firmware 1202.3 update has caused power-on/blank screen issue

(Topic created on: 01-05-2019 09:49 AM)
sinners007
Journeyman
Options

Since the latest firmware (1202.3) my 55NU7100 has developed an issue. Basically, if using HDMI 1-2-3, when I power on the TV, I get a black screen (no smart hub/no picture). The TV is on, I can hear sounds when I press remote buttons, but the screen is not showing a picture.

The solution to temporarily fix this issue is to turn the TV back off & on OR to power on the TV by pressing a channel button (instead of power button) which launches into the DTV, that doesn’t exhibit the blank screen issue (experienced when using HDMI 1-2-3). It seems the latest firmware brought with it a HDMI handshake fail problem.

I thought I’d check to see if anyone else here is having this problem &/or has found a solution. A few people on avsforums/rtings.com have indicated they have the same issue since firmware 1202.3, on both the NU7100 & NU8000. I've contacted Samsung but they won’t allow me to rollback the firmware and won’t confirm if/when a new firmware will come and if it does, whether it will address this problem.

31 REPLIES 31
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Taking a shot and exchanging for the same TV will not solve anyhing, its a firmware issue, and they are all affected.

Wait for a fix

Daxing
Journeyman
Options
It's firmware as Chris n and others have said. The TV is fine and only happens to me in game mode. Just hang in there for a firmware update. I'm using the TV everyday with this issue and just waiting for the fix, swapping for the same model will not make a difference unless it's on an older firmware, which I doubt it will be
0 Likes
fan7steelers
Student
Options

Okay, I also have the issue when I'm not in GAME mode too, it also happens when I am using the netflix app over night. 

0 Likes
pvcordeiro
Student
Options

There's an update out today, version 1251. I'm downloading it right now to see if it solves this problem and I suggest you all to do the same. 

Edit: turns out that the update is only for the US models, I have a Brazilian model and the update isn't recognized on the USB stick. Looks like I will have to live with the problem.

0 Likes
Daxing
Journeyman
Options

@pvcordeiro wrote:

There's an update out today, version 1251. I'm downloading it right now to see if it solves this problem and I suggest you all to do the same. 

Edit: turns out that the update is only for the US models, I have a Brazilian model and the update isn't recognized on the USB stick. Looks like I will have to live with the problem.

Just read on another thread, that the release notes are:-
Support iTunes App Feature on 2018 TV

Add TV control feature using 3rd party speakers (eg Amazon Echo / Google Home)

0 Likes
pvcordeiro
Student
Options

Nice, Samsung aware about the problem for 2 months and the update that they release is useless. Time to buy from another brand.

0 Likes
pvcordeiro
Student
Options

So, the tech came to my house today and changed the motherboard. The new one came with the firmware version 1152.0 and the problem doesn't happen in this version. I will leave it at this version until Samsung release an update to fix this bug. If you guys want to solve it temporarily, I recommend you to do the same

0 Likes
Solution
sinners007
Journeyman
Options

FW 1251 arrived today (in Australia). I have given it a few tries & at this early stage, it appears the power-on/blank screen issue is not present. I will test it out over the next few days and see if the issue has been fully rectified. I'm keen to hear from others.

pvcordeiro
Student
Options

Can you please make a quick test? Set the input to hdmi enable game mode and turn the TV off for about 15 minutes. Turn it on after that and tell us if the problem reappeared. I am just waiting for your reply to update my TV. Thanks in advance

0 Likes
sinners007
Journeyman
Options
pvcordeiro - I have performed the test. I was the original author of this thread and worked with Samsung for weeks trying to get them to replicate the issue on their test units. I can assure you that it works for me. Plus what have you got to lose? Your current firmware is no good anyway :winking-face: