Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 26-02-2019 01:30 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jimjim1 wrote:

What dose netflix usually stream as Dts? or can a variety of sound formats be chosen?  My av recieved only has Dts and Dolby available but the Dolby dose not sound as good as dts.

It uses Dolby digital+ so you may need adjust the audio out to that,  not to just Dolby digital. No DTS. 

0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

The tv wont pass through / decode dts full stop.

I too have all my movies on usb HDD, some have DTS and i get either no sound or the next audio track which is DD and in a foreign language.

0 Likes
Sebas76
Explorer
Options

The petition has already been signed by more than 200 people!

https://www.change.org/p/samsung-samsung-prenne-en-charge-les-codecs-dts-et-divx-sur-les-tv-qled-201...

However, we should get many more, as I’m sure there are thousands of people upset and disappointed with the lack of DTS support in 2018 Qled TVs.

I think it would be time to get an official response from Samsung on this… will they finally provide the DTS support through a firmware update ?

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Samsung won't update S#!t.

Terrible company for aftercare/support once a product is released.

Standards have dropped a lot over the last 3-5 years.

This DTS issue is very frustrating, though I do like my Q9FN.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
Jimjim1
Apprentice
Options

@Leet2274 wrote:

I too have all my movies on usb HDD, some have DTS and i get either no sound or the next audio track which is DD and in a foreign language.

Are the new Samsungs passing DD and DD+ for netflix then?

Yeah will need to get somthing to plug usb hdd into to play direct to av reciever for dts then.

Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

May be worth putting a link to the petition on the audio visual forums?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jimjim1 wrote:

@Leet2274 wrote:

Yeah will need to get somthing to plug usb hdd into to play direct to av reciever for dts then.

@Jimjim1 wrote:

@Leet2274 wrote:

Yes they pass through Dolby digital+

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

It should not come as a surprise that all of our efforts on this forum will be ignored. This is a purely self help "community" forum. All of our problems are tied directly to their Firmware.

There have been less than zero f-u-c-ks given by any of the forum staff and support employees. To rub more salt into our wounds, support issue employees, even if they would want to, CANNOT access any internet links (including this forum).

So it is save to presume that in the world of Samsung employees everything is fine and works better than expected. The only thing we could actually do, is flood their support staff with enough issue tickets that they actually might want to investigate further (I already have, and was told, more or less, to go F myself).

In the real world though there have been so many BIG problems with their brand new lineup that I feel sorry for myself and anyone who bought the same TV lineup.

Just a quick reminder of the features provided by our "premium" QLED lineup:

No DTS

No DolbyDigital

FLAC support only for stereo channels

Network connection problems

SmartHub instability

Subtitles wash out the entire screen when using SDR/HDR (ironically)

... and many more

Honestly now that I think back, I should have known that it would be like that. The QLED lineup went on sale worldwide with cut down prices to make it more competitive (+ Xbox included for some models, ...). Knowing what I know now of my TV, I would have never given them my money, not even if they further decreased the price.

Classic Samsung, powerfull hardware, utterly garbage software...

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options
Mirko is exactly right, Samsung won't do a thing based on this forum post nor will the script readers at the call centers.

I've actually had every flagship Samsung TV since the JS9000, and each one has had its owns issues. Each one has gone back to be replaced. Samsung have been VERY hard to deal with all along the way.

You probably think "what a fool, go buy an LG or a Sony" etc.

Thing is, Im not a fan of OLED & Burn-in is a real issue as much as the fanboys/girls try to deny it.

Not a huge fan of Sony's motion processing, though that could be down to me been so used to Samsung now. I know the Sony's are well reviewed.

What I've come to learn though from Samsung and issues with there products is that this forum is best used to get opinion, help & guidance from other Samsung customers.

I've had issues with each flagship TV since the JS, as well as various phones, tablets, a watch & most recently the washing machine.

Nothing was ever solved because of any Samsung mods/staff/Devs here. They are a waste of time on these forums, and when they do perk up....it's a generic copy & paste job.
So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mirko_Brand wrote:

It should not come as a surprise that all of our efforts on this forum will be ignored. This is a purely self help "community" forum. All of our problems are tied directly to their Firmware.

There have been less than zero f-u-c-ks given by any of the forum staff and support employees. To rub more salt into our wounds, support issue employees, even if they would want to, CANNOT access any internet links (including this forum).

So it is save to presume that in the world of Samsung employees everything is fine and works better than expected. The only thing we could actually do, is flood their support staff with enough issue tickets that they actually might want to investigate further (I already have, and was told, more or less, to go F myself).

In the real world though there have been so many BIG problems with their brand new lineup that I feel sorry for myself and anyone who bought the same TV lineup.

Just a quick reminder of the features provided by our "premium" QLED lineup:

No DTS

No DolbyDigital

FLAC support only for stereo channels

Network connection problems

SmartHub instability

Subtitles wash out the entire screen when using SDR/HDR (ironically)

... and many more

Honestly now that I think back, I should have known that it would be like that. The QLED lineup went on sale worldwide with cut down prices to make it more competitive (+ Xbox included for some models, ...). Knowing what I know now of my TV, I would have never given them my money, not even if they further decreased the price.

Classic Samsung, powerfull hardware, utterly garbage software...

I agree with you, but would say having been on these forums for a while dealing with ks refunds thread and the hlg on BBC iPlayer the moderators are very good and do try to help as much as they can. One thing possibly incorrect is the Dolby digital support of the tv.  It will pass through Dolby digital+ but you must have it set up to bitstream and Dolby digital+. I the q9f connected to my Denon receiver and it did Send a Dolby digital+ signal,  but not DTS. 

0 Likes