Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 03-11-2020 12:00 AM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
Paschos99
Apprentice
Options
Ok, thank you! Specifically, I am looking for a Q85R, so it will be shame if It doesn't support passthrough.
0 Likes
deivec
Apprentice
Options

Here some additional info

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

I think TV must support audio bitstream function to transfer (TV out) the same audio signal 

If TV has only PCM, it will not transfer the same (untouched) signal

This article maybe also relevant

https://www.samsung.com/za/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-bitstream-re-encode-and-do-i-need-a-specia...

Typically manufacturers don't bother clearly write out the devices functionality.....

Paschos99
Apprentice
Options
Thank you, for your quick response! you were very helpful!
0 Likes
modenet
Explorer
Options

I have QE65Q64TAUXZT  and a Yamaha AVR connected via hdmi; I'm using a raspberry 4 connected directly to the TV , using passthrought audio, on the TV I choose HDMI-out to the AVR with passthrough.
only dolby digital or ac3 sounds are decoded from ym avr; dts sounds not.
incredible! I'm ready to return TV

Omar-Os
Journeyman
Options

Buy any 2020 LG TV, They are the best now!
And I'm getting 2 of them in a couple of months, Samsung TVs are in the past now and much inferior to LG.

slicer2k
First Poster
Options

Unbelievable, i own a Q80T and a KS8000 from 2016, which fully supports DTS/passthrough. Now i'm trying to play movies from a NAS, and there is no way to play DTS audio, only decoding it with my pc using PLEX.

For my surprise, LG CX does not support DTS also. what the???

0 Likes
SRSLY
Journeyman
Options

Yes the fact that this audio support was removed from newer models is brutal. I recently purchased an Nvidia Shield Pro which will play almost any media I throw at it and supports the following features which are important to me:

• 4K HDR Ready
  • Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10
  • AI-enhanced upscaling for 720p/1080p to 4K up to 30 FPS

• Dolby Audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)

• DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI

• High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB

• High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB

• Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless,

• Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through)

• Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)

• Up to 4K playback at 60 FPS (VP8, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2)

• Up to 1080p playback at 60 FPS (H.263, MJPEG, MPEG4, WMV9/VC1)

• Format/Container support: Xvid/ DivX/ASF/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MPEG-TS/MP4/WEB-M

The price for an Nvidia Shield pro is similar to an Apple TV 4K but it offers some extras noted below.

The Nvidia Shield Pro supports all the same apps I had on the Samsung TV, provides 2 regular USB ports so you can use it with a USB stick with media, and the VLC app can play just about anything you have. The trick to getting DTS and Dolby TrueHD to route correctly through my receiver was to AVOID using the ARC port on the Samsung Q9 / Q90. Any time I had my receiver connected to the ARC port, it seemed like the audio was passed through the TV and back, effectively downgrading to Dolby Digital + at best. Using HDMI port 1 on the TV seemed to fix my issues and my receiver is showing DTS and TrueHD from the Nvidia Shield.

Here is what I did to play DTS or Dolby TrueHD audio through my receiver.

• Purchased an Nvidia Shield Pro (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv-pro/)
  • Connected the HDMI from the Shield Pro -> Receiver
  • Connected HDMI (out) from Receiver to Samsung Q9 (HDMI port 1)
  • Install all your usual apps for Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc etc on the Shield Pro
  • Disabled the WIFI on the TV
  • Gave Samsung the finger

The win is that I can play almost any media type (including MKV files) via the Nvidia Shield Pro, and by disabling the WIFI on the Samsung TV it will no longer send my personal info, screen captures, and other data to Samsung.

My next TV will likely be an LG.

To Samsung: listen to your customers or we'll vote with our wallets.

Nevenzg
Apprentice
Options

Never again Samsung TV after this. Big mistake, mine for buying them and their for this stupid decision.

Amorphous
Student
Options

This isridiculous. I just bought samsung QLED yesterday. And I am going to return it now.

kjkjk32
Pioneer
Options

Nvidia Shield Pro  - Brings a bad picture - faded colors, lack of sharpness

0 Likes