Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 19-04-2019 03:26 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options
Hopefully, one last question, trying to get me head around this, you tell me: "I connected to the media HDMI in on the Denon, then the out to the tv arc." So you used the HDMI Cable that comes with the Shield to go OUT to Denon Media IN......when you say "out to TV ARC" you must be referring to HDMI out of the Denon ARC and INTO ARC of the Connect One Box, is this Correct?
After that when you want to turn ON the TV and the Shield do you have to use the Denon Remote and have it on Media? The Shield will not show up in Sources on our TV will it? Please clarify for me.............THANKS!
0 Likes
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

Sorry......I meant to ask one more question about my present Blu Ray Connection.  I presently have my BluRay connected into the One Connect Box....and that limits use of Audio Formats that can be decoded by my Denon, right?  IF I disconnect the BR fm the One Connect and jack it directly into the BluRay HDMI IN on the Denon like it used to be....and then access use of it there....will that work as a PassThru and I will get full decoding again?   TKS

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:

Sorry......I meant to ask one more question about my present Blu Ray Connection.  I presently have my BluRay connected into the One Connect Box....and that limits use of Audio Formats that can be decoded by my Denon, right?  IF I disconnect the BR fm the One Connect and jack it directly into the BluRay HDMI IN on the Denon like it used to be....and then access use of it there....will that work as a PassThru and I will get full decoding again?   TKS

Yes always connect the blurry to the Denon. The Denon to the tv via ARC.  Then you will get the high definition sound.  If you connect to the one connect you are limited to just Dolby digital+.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@orbeavhawk wrote:
Hopefully, one last question, trying to get me head around this, you tell me: "I connected to the media HDMI in on the Denon, then the out to the tv arc." So you used the HDMI Cable that comes with the Shield to go OUT to Denon Media IN......when you say "out to TV ARC" you must be referring to HDMI out of the Denon ARC and INTO ARC of the Connect One Box, is this Correct?
After that when you want to turn ON the TV and the Shield do you have to use the Denon Remote and have it on Media? The Shield will not show up in Sources on our TV will it? Please clarify for me.............THANKS!

Yep,  then turn on Denon and the shield,  and switch the tv to the arc HDMI,  which I think is 4. On the Denon select the media connection if that is where the shield is connected.  Then you should see the shield on the tv. 

0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

Does anyone here have the Q9FN with a HW N850 / N950 soundbar??

0 Likes
Naxxor
Explorer
Options

So... in conclusion: 

- NEW: No Twitch App

- No DTS

- No Dolby Vision

- No option for disabling Local Dimming

- No option for disable HDR (built-in apps)

- No option for disablng 4k blurry upscaling (instead of 4:1 pixel mapping)

- No 3.5mm jack output (come on at least the output incorporation on remote control as other brands do)

- No fix for subtitles brightness on local dimming panels 2018 models

- Go on and on...

What else can we expect of Samsung for 2020??

Upcoming...

- No Netflix

- No Youtube

- No Dolby Audio

- ???????

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Naxxor wrote:

So... in conclusion: 

- No DTS

- No Dolby Vision

- No option for disabling Local Dimming

- No option for disable HDR (built-in apps)

- No option for disablng 4k blurry upscaling (instead of 4:1 pixel mapping)

- No 3.5mm jack output

- No fix for subtitles brightness on local dimming panels 2018 models

- Go on and on...

What else can we expect of Samsung for 2020??

Even less!!! 

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Why would you want to disable HDR or Local Dimming?

No DTS was a terrible move by Samsung, yet remember it was removed via firmware for the Q9FN, so should a deal be struck again we may get it back.

That said, with a non Samsung soundbar/amp and external device like Shield/Apple tv/Bluray etc that problem is easily bypassed.

No DV.....that will never be on a Samsung TV unless HDR10+ fails. Give it time, HDR10+ content is growing, albeit slowly.

The no DTS or DV can hardly be moaned about as it was clear when purchased that this TV didn't support either (unless you bought very early after release in regards to DTS)

Blurry 4K upscaling? Honestly can say that's the first I've heard about this.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

Does anyone here know if the q9fn will output dolby digital plus to hw n850 soundbar from netlix / 4k movies on HDD with atmos sound tracks 

Having just the tv and sounbar only, no other devices

I know the hw n850 supports dd+ and ive read there is a dd+ option in the tv's expert audio settings

But im unsure if the tv will let you select dd+ or if is 'greyed out' / function not available etc

Thx

0 Likes
orbeavhawk
Journeyman
Options

I am a cord cutter and am using OTA Antenna and Samsung built in EPG for Locals [GREAT!]  Q9FN

Has anyone here connected up a HomeRun for OTA on this same TV?   IF so, please tell me how does the EPG and

overall PQ etc. compare to just OTA like I presently enjoy?

Thanks,  michael

0 Likes