Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New smart TV

(Topic created on: 12-03-2022 02:13 PM)
Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

My new Samsung Smart TV series 8 appears incompatible with my sky+HD box. Connected via HDMI when scanning it does not find the sky box. Occasionally, and for no apparent reason, it connects before the scan starts but does not retain the setup after shutdown. The open with the last app is on.

The HDMI cable has been changed, the TV reset, the cable unplugged and re-plugged.

The sky box works with all the non smart TVs in the house, some Samsung and some LG

If you cannot help my £400  new TV will be in the bin!

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

James

I am not sure if I have a solution or not. Only time will tell. The Sky man tested the box and the leads by bypassing them with his own leads and concluded that the tv would need to scan each time it was turned on but would eventually connect. He then turned on the RF control for hdmi on the sky box. As this is an old box with an RF1 and RF2, this control seemed to work through the aerial connection and the TV worked. What he did not know was why or whether it is a permanent fix.

Regards

Richard

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page may be helpful to you

Connect your cable or satellite box and other devices to your Samsung TV

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078931/
0 Likes
stephkane00
Navigator
Options
Hi did u change the source to hdmi or one that says sky just a suggestion
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Woodrk  Imagine the Tv is on the right source but worth a check.  Have you tried any other port , ensure UHD colour is off on the appropriate port as you it is not a UHD Box.  Have you looked at the  Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)  setting in External Device Manager , if selected turn it off and vice versa to see if that makes a difference. Have you been through the Universal Remote set up as shown herehttps://www.samsung.com/Universal Remote    You will be asked for provider , Skyq and Sky HD or SD should be listed separately. Select the appropriate one.

I know you have tried disconnecting but best advice is to Try a hard reboot on the TV by leaving its power cord unplugged for 10+minutes while all the HDMI ports are unplugged completely.  I would also reboot the  HD Box.  

Aware that sometimes Sky have replaced Boxes if issues with tv,though more so with the Q Boxes.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

James

Thank you for your suggestions. I have already tried a hard reboot and the sky reboot and neither worked. The anynet is off but I am not using that port which is 3 and I am using 1. I have been through the universal remote set up and all that does is put a name next to the port that otherwise was marked unknown. Incidentally the options offer many sky Q and Sky SD doxes but no sky HD option. I have tried an SD label but it did not work. I have noted that one can append a name to the port from the menu attached to the port app and typing in the name so I suspect the set up system is really to identify the codes for the universal remote and label the app on the source menu and not to configure the port.

Finally, I have just tried your suggestion on UHD colour and unfortunately that did not work either.

A sky engineer has agreed to come on Tuesday. After a long telephone call during which he told me to buy another make, he finally said he would change the box as that would prove it was the TV at fault.

I phoned Samsung help who said I needed to buy a sky Q and that they would not send anyone out.

I am very frustrated. Can you offer any further suggestions?

If I plug in my old LG, it connects immediately, so I do not think it is anything to do with the sky box and after many tries with the Samsung, I got it to work but the Samsung lost the setup when the TV was shut down

Regards

Richard

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Woodrk ok, thanks for your reply. Yes think universal remote more to do with source code.  Sure when I first got Q Box there was an Sky HD option but when I checked earlier only seem SD and Skyq.   At the moment only thing else I can think of is to adjust the eco options  to see if that makes any difference.  Services - Options - Sky+ Setup. If not done so already could try another port.    There is Eco,Active and None, know that helped helped some folk who had issue with Q Box but not saying that will necessarily assist. I am using Skyq with an older  Samsung model,did have an issue with connection once but changing the cable worked for me.

If to no avail see if engineer visit yields any result with Box, if not option seems to be either to see if there is suitable offer for skyq or to return the TV.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

James

Thank you for your additional thoughts. I keep hoping one will work, but no luck. I wonder if you know how the set- parameters work. On your TV, does it have to scan for  connections each time it turns on?

As I said in a past email, I managed to get a connection once but the setup was lost when I turned the set on. On another occasion, when I turned on, the sky  screen flashed on then the set diverted to searching for a connection, even now that I have purchased expensive  new leads.

Regards

Richard

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
@Woodrk oh right Richard, thanks for letting me know. Seems nothing has proved a fix thus far. In answer to your question no my TV does not need to scan for connections, works automatically. I do switch the Tv off at the mains at night but keep the skyq Box plugged in and on eco setting. The Box does do housekeeping at around 6 in the morning in any case.

0 Likes
Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

James

Like you I leave the sky box on 24/7. That is why I cannot understand why the TV always seems to start from scratch

I tried to get the retailer, Curry's, to look at the TV under warranty but was told the company does not offer a warranty service on Samsung, I evidently must apply through Samsung and Samsung keeps saying it is a Sky problem. Sky is fitting a brand new box on Tuesday. If that does not work, I do know what to do, I guess that I will have to take to social media!!

Any suggestions? No one else on this site has been at all helpful. I do appreciate what you have done

Regards

Richard

Woodrk
Journeyman
Options

Steve

Thank you but I would not be asking this question if I did not know all that is in that simple guide.

Do you have any other suggestions please?

0 Likes