Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Series 7 Does not support vidoes

(Topic created on: 05-03-2019 01:12 AM)
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I had a 40" Series 6 LED TV which is connected to a NAS with 1.25Tb of video files of various types (.avi, .mkv, etc.).

Unfortunately, we had an accident on Friday and the set was physically damaged.

I bought a new Series 7 43" on Saturday, unplugged the Series 6  and replaced it with the Series 7.

Unfortunatly, hardly any of my video library will play on the new set! Either file not supported or audio format not supported.

I've checked and have the latest firmware... have I bought a €450 paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

84 REPLIES 84
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Madasahat wrote:
Like I said disprove what I said where the files are from! You can't start crying about something not playing stolen files when the content does not even belong to the person in the 1st place. We all know, just what? I have said it "oh noes"
Yes Samsung should tell people about changes but don't moan when it actually has not really burdened you. Download the file again and be done with it.
Prove that the files you are crying about belong to you and I will buy you a digital copy

I would hate to work with an obnoxious angry person you are. This is supposed to an open friendly forum.  We are here to ask and try to help,  not rant and rave,  outrageous.  Think nice people mention his behavior to @AntS  the moderator. 

You have trolled me and baited me all through this thread now I have called you out you want to be rescued by the forum admin. I really hope he closes this thread as it is going no where. I must have hit a sore point as I was willing to pay for a new digital copy of your film. 

Get back under under the bridge troll.

@AntS close this thread do me a favour please

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Madasahat wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Madasahat wrote:
Like I said disprove what I said where the files are from! You can't start crying about something not playing stolen files when the content does not even belong to the person in the 1st place. We all know, just what? I have said it "oh noes"
Yes Samsung should tell people about changes but don't moan when it actually has not really burdened you. Download the file again and be done with it.
Prove that the files you are crying about belong to you and I will buy you a digital copy

I would hate to work with an obnoxious angry person you are. This is supposed to an open friendly forum.  We are here to ask and try to help,  not rant and rave,  outrageous.  Think nice people mention his behavior to @AntS  the moderator. 

You have trolled me and baited me all through this thread now I have called you out you want to be rescued by the forum admin. I really hope he closes this thread as it is going no where. I must have hit a sore point as I was willing to pay for a new digital copy of your film. 

Get back under under the bridge troll.

@AntSclose this thread do me a favour please

Can I ask if it is upsetting you so much why bother looking here?  We are all people looking for info and advice not rant and accusation.  I do not know your agenda but have seen it before in other forums,  and it is the typical behavior of trolls.  The moderators will not shut this forum because you ask because who do you think you are to even demand that.  You have had your say which is your slant which is welcomed but please do not slag others ofc if they disagree with you.  Called democracy. 

Thanks with all humble due respect. 

Paul

Madasahat
Voyager
Options
Democracy let's say that is true. I am not upset I get notifications everytime someone replies. I feel as though I have been singled out when all I did was offer solutions. I was agreeing with the last quote who wanted the mods in this thread.
Fact is people are annoyed that the files they have obtained however they got them will not play.
My argument was if I can put it in an analogy "I stole this bike but the tyres are not up to scratch I will complain to the manufacturer"
Everyone else can have an opinion but me?
That is not democracy that is a dictatorship.
I don't actually care all I did was offer solutions and was lambasted by everyone. My Samsung plays every file container without issue. I will leave this thread and remove the alerts.

Have fun download this for future proof
High Efficiency Video Coding, also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard, designed as a successor to the widely used AVC.
Good luck with the requested backwards compatible step you all need
0 Likes
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

@Madasahat 

It is sad that you feel so sorry for yourself...

The point that you fail to grasp is that nobody on here wants to recode all their videos nor add extra complexity to their system just to watch what they could before they 'upgraded' to a series 7.

Your assumption that the files we cannot play on a Series 7 have been obtained illegally is completely irrelevant and seems to cloud your judgement somewhat. 

All the people on this thread are merely questioning why Samsung have removed some decoding feature that we all clearly find important? And I think I can speak for everybody else that we are all annoyed that this change was not identified when we went to the shop. After all, this is not some bizarre, unusual feature that was unique to Samsung - this is a feature that is on just about every other TV - I tried perhaps 10 TVs in the shop and the only one that wouldn't play the video was the Series 7.

So your, "you nicked it" analogy isn't doing anybody any favours and certainly isn't doing Samsung any favours. We want a feature that was in Series 6 and is in every other TV in every shop you can visit. Samsung is the problem here, not the origin of our videos.

AntS
Options

Figured rather than closing threads, deleting stuff, telling people off, or a glib “Please be nice to each other”, that  I’d bore you all with a somewhat off-topic story instead.

I bought a TV for my bedroom a few years ago. Thought it had Bluetooth – I mean, it was a brand new fangled-dangled Smart TV, so why wouldn’t it? I couldn’t find anything in the specs or manual that said it didn’t – and it even had the option for Bluetooth set-up in the Settings.

So, when I wanted to go wireless with my headphones (instead of the long cable I’d cobbled together where annoyingly the sound kept cutting out) I went ahead and bought  myself some swish, expensive Bluetooth headphones. Then spent an hour or so trying in vain to pair them to the TV… and then some time cruising websites and forums only to find out my TV model did not, in fact, have Bluetooth.

Was I a tad miffed? Sure. I could’ve dug deeper before leaping into a purchase I s’pose; but should I really have had to dig as deep as I did to find an answer to a pretty simple question? Could I have complained to the manufacturer about things? Of course. Would it have done any good? Possibly. It may have prompted them to perhaps be clearer and more obvious with their specs to customers in the future.

Ultimately, though, at the time I was more interested in salvaging something  from the situation, and enjoying wireless sound with my telly, than being angry and shouty. Which is why I went looking for and successfully implemented a workaround.

The moral? There’s value to be had in different approaches. In any given situation, not everyone wants a workaround, and not everyone wants to complain. Some people even want to do both.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS, glad workaround for Bluetooth headphones was fine, though realise not everyone thinks workarounds are acceptable even if can be more convenient.

As a general  point I think it is best to do some research before making purchases, though assumptions often made with latest technology which folk are keen to get hands on.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

depoit
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem and it is a sad day when Samsung is too lazy to add additional support for all audio formats. I did find a workaround for those that love their TV with this one exception of the sound issue. 

If you have a laptop or computer connected to the same wifi network you can use Plex to watch the movies. here is a tutorial.

First Step -

How to install server  on Windows- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33Tr2cGX8M

OR

How to install server on macOS  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rU8T48QQ4

Second Step -

Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the plex server via the Wifi network - https://flixed.io/install-plex-smart-tvs/

I hope this helped. :smiling-face:

Hoekstes
First Poster
Options

I just bought a 65" NU7100 "Smart" Samsung TV.  I thought I did enough research.  Apparantly not...

• Does not play my video files from USB
  • No bluetooth
  • SmartView and SmartThings apps won't connect to TV
  • Only audio out is Toslink?!

I don't mind workarounds, but seriously, Samsung could have done better.  Maybe instead of "Smart" they should rather call it the "Slightly Above Average Samsung TV".

0 Likes
jurdanas
Student
Options

Hello. Time create good updates. Now can't play avi or DTS files. But samsung add similar app and I can see my old videos. Maybe not is bad.

0 Likes
Halrid
First Poster
Options
I'm in the same situation... I have my whole video library on my nas and am unable to view any of the files... and before I get accused of having non legal content... it is very much legal, but the originals are ina storage unit thousands of miles away..(I travel with my nas not my entire collection of DVD's ) also the suggestion that I now need to spend months of my life re-encoding to enable the files to run on my new Samsung is laughable. I did research the tv and was told it was just an improved version of my original Samsung which now has a speaker issue and will cost more than a new tv to fix... the option of getting a lower version was not an option as they only stock the newest model... so i am now stuck with a brick... Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for an updated firmware to solve this issue? 15 years I've relied on Samsung I will never by another after this experience and i have already swayed 7 people to change their purchase choice due to this issue... the expat community relies heavily on these missing codecs and it has to be a simple fix.
0 Likes