Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Series 7 Does not support vidoes

(Topic created on: 09-10-2018 11:17 AM)
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I had a 40" Series 6 LED TV which is connected to a NAS with 1.25Tb of video files of various types (.avi, .mkv, etc.).

Unfortunately, we had an accident on Friday and the set was physically damaged.

I bought a new Series 7 43" on Saturday, unplugged the Series 6  and replaced it with the Series 7.

Unfortunatly, hardly any of my video library will play on the new set! Either file not supported or audio format not supported.

I've checked and have the latest firmware... have I bought a €450 paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

84 REPLIES 84
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

UPDATE:

I copied a sample of the files that would not play onto a USB stick and returned to the store.

The files wouldn't play on any Series 7 TV but they would play on any Series 6.

The files also played perfectly on LG, Sony, etc.

After considering all of my options I walked out of the store with a 50" Series 6 Samsung.

jurdanas
Student
Options
Now buying a TV in 2018 is the same as buying a Mercedes from a passenger compartment without wheels (maybe there will be an update and a calendar in half a year will lead, but you can sit in the car and look out the window)
sorry - thoughts in hearing
Madasahat
Voyager
Options
Seems a shame did you look for any apps on the store? I have no issue streaming mkv to my 6470 (as you) I wonder why an upgrade would not work as well
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

No, I didn't try any aps as my primary use is streaming from a NAS.

I'm guessing the problem is that it has been released with immature firmware a I noticed a couple of other weird things about it.

1) My 6 Series (40" and the new 50") support 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi but the 7 series only supported 2.4GHz.

2) On both the 6 Series sets the files on my NAS are displayed in alphabetical order so everything is easy to find. On the 7 series they were in some bizarre random order so finding the file or folder you wanted was quite difficult!

0 Likes
Andrehicks
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing the same problem after purchasing this model for Black Friday. Some files from my NAS work while some dont, but another 65" inch model that I have, plays the same movies without a problem. Was there a fix other than downgrading to a lower model? I would definately like to keep this TV.

0 Likes
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

No, sadly I couldn't see any other soloution other than wait for updated firmware at some point in the future. The store agreed with me too - they tried all of their technical resources and couldn't come up with a solution.

I'd suggest you do like I did, copy a selection of non-working files to USB and return to the store to try and find a display that they will work on. I took a selection that either wouldn't play or that played video but the set said the sound wasn't supported. After demonstrating the problem to the staff the same files ALL worked on an older Series 6 AND on LG and Sony sets. Clearly there is an issue with Series 7.

If it is any consolation, I can't really see any difference in picture quality between the 6 and 7 and I think the base is more attractive and hides cables more easily.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CyprusGrump wrote:

Hi,

No, sadly I couldn't see any other soloution other than wait for updated firmware at some point in the future. The store agreed with me too - they tried all of their technical resources and couldn't come up with a solution.

I'd suggest you do like I did, copy a selection of non-working files to USB and return to the store to try and find a display that they will work on. I took a selection that either wouldn't play or that played video but the set said the sound wasn't supported. After demonstrating the problem to the staff the same files ALL worked on an older Series 6 AND on LG and Sony sets. Clearly there is an issue with Series 7.

If it is any consolation, I can't really see any difference in picture quality between the 6 and 7 and I think the base is more attractive and hides cables more easily.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I think it is because Samsung have dropped support for DTS now only Dolby digital.  So any files with a DTS soundtrack will have issues. The older Samsung TV's did support DTS.  A bit of a backwards step,  but looks like Samsung do not to pay DTS royalties. 

Paul

0 Likes
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

You could be right...

I can't say for sure, but as I mentioned above some files just refused to play completely while others said the audio was not supported.

It is not possible for me to confirm if all the files had a DTS soundtrack as I have sadly now erased the USB stick I took to the store.

However, it would seem to be a completely bizarre step for Samsung - as I mentioned above, every other TV we tested in the showroom played the same files without any issues.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CyprusGrump wrote:

You could be right...

I can't say for sure, but as I mentioned above some files just refused to play completely while others said the audio was not supported.

It is not possible for me to confirm if all the files had a DTS soundtrack as I have sadly now erased the USB stick I took to the store.

However, it would seem to be a completely bizarre step for Samsung - as I mentioned above, every other TV we tested in the showroom played the same files without any issues.

If you look on the spec it shows now just Dolby digital.  All other premium TV's do support. You would need to get a sound bar and media player to play DTS files. 

0 Likes