Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New QE65Q90R - bluetooth headphones NOT disabling speakers/optical output

(Topic created on: 22-12-2019 06:42 PM)
gambcl
Student
Options

I just got my first Samsung TV installed, a QE65Q90R.

I have the optical output feeding my Sonos Playbar and all seems to be working OK.

Last night I tried to use some Bose AE II bluetooth headphones and whilst the pairing was successful and I could hear audio in the headphones, the TV was still sending audio to the Optical output.

I'm sure in the user guide it says that connecting headphones should disable the other TV audio outputs, but that is not happening in my case.

Makes it kind of useless for late-night listening.

Anyone else seen this? I have tried looking for settings to change but haven't found anything useful so far.

11 REPLIES 11
Poutting
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I do find myself to have exactly the same problem.

Only workaround i have is to unplug the optical cable from my tv and set sound on samsung tv to the bluetooth headphones (sennheiser).

They need a fix for this

0 Likes
snowmanhanson
First Poster
Options

Is this really the only option?  Is somebody from Samsung going to respond?

0 Likes
snowmanhanson
First Poster
Options

Same problem here.  Samsung Al?

0 Likes
snowmanhanson
First Poster
Options

Just got off the phone with support, no fix.  Asked to escalate.  Best workaround I've found is to manually mute volume on soundbar/surround system.  Easier than unplugging optical, for me at least, and bt headphones still work.

0 Likes
gambcl
Student
Options

I guess I'll have to do the same.

Pretty amazing that something as simple as headphone support doesn't work as expected.

0 Likes
D_Stock
First Poster
Options

Same problem here.

The only work around, in my case, is to pair my soundbar and headphones without having the optical cable connection. Since the Bluetooth will only connect to one paired device at a time I can isolate between the two devices.

I'd rather keep my optical direct connection though since it'll provide the most reliable and better quality sound of the two options. Plus the soundbar turns itself on when it sees the output signal from the TV through the optical cable. Whereas we'll have to turn both TV and soundbar on independently. This isn't too bad although I can't turn the sounbar on through the TV remote.

Additionally, we sometimes use the soundbar for listening to music and I'd rather not have to deal with the TV and cellphones fighting over which gets to connect. 

0 Likes
snowmanhanson
First Poster
Options

I have another workaround.  Install an optical audio switcher, with remote, between the tv and soundbar.  The optical audio switchers are designed to connect multiple source devices (ps4, bluray, tv, etc.) to your sound device and switch between them as necessary.  The remotes have a power button for the switcher itself.  You can get them in multiple configurations; 2X1, 3X1, 5X1...and for multiple audio formats; 5.1, Atmos, Dolby Vision, etc.  Just hook it up inline and use the power button on the remote to silence the soundbar, surround sound, etc.  They also make them multi-HDMI in and optical out, more expensive but might save buying more cables.  They run around $20-50 on AMZN depending on configuration.  Remote will need line of sight to the switcher.  

For those still running virtual surround sound systems with RCA's, you can do the same thing with remote controlled digital to analog audio converters (DAC converter).  Those even have mute buttons on the remotes.

0 Likes
DanEl
First Poster
Options

Same issue, using Samsung Soundbar and TV both supposedly high end devices but no solution.

0 Likes
Members_9SC0grx
First Poster
Options

Still seems to be unfixed 3 years later.

0 Likes