Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connect box with 2.1 hdmi upgrade

(Topic created on: 28-12-2020 06:41 PM)
nazbobby
Explorer
Options

I have been promised by Samsung team member that I will get upgrade one connect box with 2.1 hdmi for my Q90R as soon the lockdown finished, I am still waiting here?????

232 REPLIES 232
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Yes, again, the support is totally wrong! No Q90R has HDMI 2.1. And yes, you will need a new tv if you really want true HDMI 2.1. You have, again, HDMI 2.0b which allows 24GB/s. Ordinary 2.0 runs in 18GB/s. You can run 4k@120hz subsampled, 10 bit with 4:2:0 chroma as it is just what 2.0b is capable of. To run 4k@120hz full capacity 10 bit with colour space chroma 4:4:4 you need 40GB/s which only true HDMI 2.1 can deliver.

Tell that to the support tech, and to stop lying to you. They should know better! 

0 Likes
120hz4k
Explorer
Options

"I understand that if you want to have a "real" HDMI 2.1 connector, I have to change the TV to a newer one that has such a connector?"

Exactly, which is why we ask Samsung to make the one connect box of the Q900R series compatible with the Q90R series 

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Well, that is something one just "make" compatible. It's an 8K BOX and supports and contains very different hardware. As my friends in a Facebook group, who both works at Samsung TV, says... The Q90R has been equipped with HDMI 2.0b, and that's it. No further firmware can change that, and there will definitely not be any new boxes. 

paperkat
Apprentice
Options

just tried hdmi connection from pc with a rtx 3090 to tv and can confirm its 4k120 with 4:2:0 not RGB.

in port 4 with input signal plus activated (q90r 75 inch)

edit: i also used the hdmi 2.1 cable provided with the PS5 

120hz4k
Explorer
Options

Oh really? I was told that the hardware of both lines (except the panel) was identical. Thanks for the info.  Edit did my homework good this time and found out you're absolutely right.  

Quantum Processor 8K Quantum Processor 4K

I'm wondering if the Quantum Processor 4K is capable of handling 40GB

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Good to see that someone actually can test and confirm everything I'm trying to explain. Thanks buddy! 👍🏼😁

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

It certainly should be capable. But unfortunately they are not going to make a new OCB for the Q90R, which is too bad. 

0 Likes
HakanaiSeishin
Journeyman
Options

What makes you so sure? It has been done in the past.

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

As I mentioned in a previous post. According to two guys working within Samsung tv department that I know through an FB group have said so on numerous occasions. But of course, you never know. 

0 Likes
Portowiec
Explorer
Options

So the only option is to replace the TV or the box itself that Samsung doesn't want to replace. And 4k at 120 Hz in the q90r is nothing more than a lie for customers who are unfamiliar with the equipment. They see it's 4k at 120Hz and that's enough for them.

0 Likes