Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connect box with 2.1 hdmi upgrade

(Topic created on: 28-12-2020 03:11 PM)
nazbobby
Explorer
Options

I have been promised by Samsung team member that I will get upgrade one connect box with 2.1 hdmi for my Q90R as soon the lockdown finished, I am still waiting here?????

232 REPLIES 232
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

It doesn't matter what people say or what you have heard. This is just how it is. Yes, the connector LOOKS the same, and also fits. The technology in the port however is very different. And the reason for HDMI 2.1 to have same form factor is to be backwards compatible also with 2.0 cords/cables. 

0 Likes
HakanaiSeishin
Journeyman
Options

MajkAlfa- the thing is there was an interview in 2019 which a Samsung US higher level person at CES or a similar type event stating that they have plans for at minimum, eARC for the q90 series with OCB which would most likely require a new box. Whether they changed positions on that has yet to be seen, but I did personally watch the interview back then. Also, historically they have came out with at least 1 OCB prior to the q900r to upgrade previous TVs. Regardless, I doubt I will be going back with Samsung going forward, regardless of picture quality given that they're seriously lacking in both software usability and internal hardware limitations. Its not just here either, if you look at the S20 Ultra as a phone its fantastic, but they made the mistake of putting a single link display connection internally instead of a dual link making it so you cant run 120hz at max res. Oversights like these show a pattern in what is essentially a leading company, that dont make sense and aren't present in products by LG. If OLED didn't have a terrible burn in problem I probably already would have replaced this tv, even after spending 4,000 on it.

0 Likes
_Romario_
Student
Options

Dear Samsung please make update for Q90R for support HDMI 2.1 48GB/s

madvisionz
Apprentice
Options

What is the status for the eArc update? I’m using a Sonos Arc connected to my QE55Q90R. Otherwise I’m considering to buy an HDFury Arcana, but I spend a lot money on this TV 1 year  ago with the promise that this update is coming and don’t want to spend more money to make this work. 😞

Portowiec
Explorer
Options

Welcome! Today I plugged my Xbox Series X console into the HDMI 4 connector on my 55Q90R. It turned out that I can choose the resolution of 4k and 120hz! Fantastic!. Today I called Samsung support in Poland and received information from their employee that the HDMI connector number 4 is the HDMI 2.1 connector. It happened thanks to the update. Apparently, the update unlocked such a function.q90r 4k 120hz.jpg

0 Likes
120hz4k
Explorer
Options

This is not true. Port 4 is HDMI 2.0b with a maximum bandwidth of 24gb. 

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Absolutely correct. Why 120hz is an option is because you are running it chroma subsampled, which means not full RGB 4:4:4 but rather 8 bit at 4:2:0. Results are not really that great colour when gaming. I would still prefer 4k@60hz for full RGB and beautiful detailed colours. The difference in fps is less important imo if you can't get the best of both worlds.

And, as usual, Samsung tech support are uneducated and they never ever seem to get any better.

Try setting your Xbox to 10bit instead and see what happens. 😉

Portowiec
Explorer
Options

Then why do they say HDMI 4 is HDMI 2.1? I understand that HDMI 2.1 has a bandwidth of 48GB / s? How is it really like? Is there any device that will confirm this? I thought that only HDMI 2.1 would be able to get the picture in 4k 120Hz. This is my case.

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

You have HDMI 2.0b. You don't need 48GB/s to run at 120hz. Maybe if you read this Reddit thread you will understand better. And don't forget to read the e-manual which is linked in there, page 141.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/axjjcb/with_4k_120hz_achievable_through_hdmi_20b_only_8k/ehtx...

0 Likes
Portowiec
Explorer
Options

I'm sorry if I don't understand something. I have to translate everything in a translator. I called Samsung Poland again to ask if the hdmi 4 IS ACTUALLY HDMI 2.1 PORT WITH 48GB / s THROUGHT. I was informed that it was. When asked how is it possible that the update could change the port from 2.0 to 2.1, the employee replied that he did not know. He suggested that it might be a hidden 2.1 connector that has now been unlocked. I was informed that they would write to Samsung technicians and provide me with information within 3 days.

Apart from their answer, I understand that if you want to have a "real" HDMI 2.1 connector, I have to change the TV to a newer one that has such a connector?

0 Likes