Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Netflix sound not working on UE50NU7400 with digital output

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 03:02 PM)
Alan2018
Journeyman
Options

I've had a Samsung Smart TV linked via an optical out cable to a Marantz CR610 hifi system for 4 years and everything worked OK, including Netflix.

The old TV gave up the ghost, so in September I bought a new Samsung UE50NU7400 4K TV, connecting it exactly the same way as the old TV.

The sound from the TV to the Marantz system works fine, just as before, whether the content comes direct from the TV or from the Sky box which.  The one probem is Netflix.  Netflix works fine through the TV speakers, but if I switch on the Marantz system the Netflix app carries on playing the picture, but no sound comes through the optical out cable to the Marantz system - we just get silence.

It appears to be a weird aspect of the Netflix app, but since it worked on the old Samsung TV it seems odd that it's stopped working on the new one.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

135 REPLIES 135
DAT84
Apprentice
Options

Yes Samsung, how about some actual help? But you can tell us to "play nice"??? How hard is it to crank out a simple Firmware update for one of the world's largest tech companies??

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey guys,

have you tried the steps provided by @AntS ?

1 - Exit Netflix App

2- Select a.n.other source e.g. Live TV or HDMI Source

2- Settings>Sound>Expert Settings>Digital OutputAudio Format -> Two out the three formats will be available (PCM & Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital Plus will be Greyed Out). Whichever format is currently selected, change to the other e.g PCM>DD or DD>PCM

3 - Exit the menu

4 - Complete a "Cold Boot" by pressing & holding the Standby Key on the remote control until the Boot logo appears (This performs the same process as turning the TV Off & On at the Mains but from the comfort of your sofa - Note: For Frame TV owners I'm afraid you'll still need to pull the mains)

5 - Select Netflix & Playback

bdub
First Poster
Options

not to let samsung off the hook, but i think this is something netflix has a role in playing.

my experience is that the netflix app is the only one of the smart tv's apps to have this issue, and from other poster's entries, the problem started with a firmware update around jan or feb, i think... i imagine from these clues that whatever updated component samsung employed from a new revision of the netflix app provided by netflix is the problem.

i've detailed in a previous post the converstion i had with netflix about this.

seems like samsung should be able to talk to netflix and find out what changes they made in thier app that is causing this issue, and adjust to fix... or samsung can give us an updated firmware that reverts the netflix app back to the previous (unbroken) version.
whatever bells and whistles the new netflix app is supposed to bring, we don't need them.  just give us the app that works for people with external speaker systems through hdmi-arc.

0 Likes
bdub
First Poster
Options

@TessM wrote:

Hey guys,

have you tried the steps provided by @AntS ?

1 - Exit Netflix App

2- Select a.n.other source e.g. Live TV or HDMI Source

2- Settings>Sound>Expert Settings>Digital OutputAudio Format -> Two out the three formats will be available (PCM & Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital Plus will be Greyed Out). Whichever format is currently selected, change to the other e.g PCM>DD or DD>PCM

3 - Exit the menu

4 - Complete a "Cold Boot" by pressing & holding the Standby Key on the remote control until the Boot logo appears (This performs the same process as turning the TV Off & On at the Mains but from the comfort of your sofa - Note: For Frame TV owners I'm afraid you'll still need to pull the mains)

5 - Select Netflix & Playback

changing to pcm from dd on another input?  then doing a cold boot...  and when netflix is started back up, would you ever be able to put the tv back in dolby digital? if not, and we can only use pcm, then the whold purpose of having 5.1 amplifier is defeated.

0 Likes
Eric_in_HK
Explorer
Options

Hi TessM

yes, I tried those steps and I can confirm it doesn't work for me.

The issue emerged in one of the recent updates to Samsung firmware 1351 and as you can see a lot of people (literally, all over the world) are having this issue right now with different Samsung TV models using a range of AVR brand models (Q70 and Denon 1713 in my case) connecting through HDMI ARC.

Whether it's something that needs to be fixed within the Netflix app or within the Samsung firmware, someone from the Samsung technical software team should really start owning this issue and investigating this properly, and then ideally provide some feedback in these Samsung Community forums.

Thanks.

ChrisGarcia
Apprentice
Options

Sadly, corporatism has claimed our hard-earned money and could care less.  Not until the words "Class Action Lawsuit" are in play will we get a response. 

0 Likes
Poor_guy_2020
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tess,

I confirm that the steps have been followed but the problem continues.  My configuration :

Samsung Q80R 55" 2019

Denon AVR-1912

Ate you going to reflect the issue with your technical team?

Toiffel
Pioneer
Options

Here is the deal:

It's Samsung's fault 100% they can play the blame game all they want, they are resposible for their own firmware updates, my setup was working flawless via HDMI ARC , with no problems using all the APPS bundled with the TV, including NETFLIX, until the firmware update, yes I know the workaorund, but why do I have to jump through hoops to get something to work the wat it's supposed to work, or even worse, the way it was working prior to the firmware update ? Samsung customer support is lost, most of them don't even know about the issue and treat you like you are some sort of ***** that messed up your own TV, yeah I've tried every single solution out there, this is a firmware issue not a hardware issue, I have yet to see someone that claims to be a "REAL SAMSUNG TECH SUPPORT/ENGINEER/EMPLOYEE" in this forum, I would have more respect for a company that comes out and says "yeah we messed up, and will be working on a fix" not one that dismisses the issues and takes the easy way out blaming "oh it's the customer fault, or nextflix fault, but never Samsung's fault"......

Will I ever purchase another Samsung TV...nope.....will I ever recommend someone to purchase one.....nope

Chris669
Explorer
Options

What's very sad is: This is a CERTIFIED NETFLIX TV that is supposed to play perfectly Dolby Digital + So the real question is: Is Samsung the right partner for Netflix? I choose Samsung, but I regret my old Sony... 

0 Likes
Bsheff
First Poster
Options

I have a q80r 65". It sounds like there are several issues with different series. For me, everything works through the hdmi-arc output. Only apps, amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube don't play audio out of the optical output. I use the Sonos amplified surround system speakers for audio that are connected via hdmi-arc output. I have an artiste set of wireless headphones that operate via optical input. As I'm writing this I'm watching amazon prime and the speakers work fine. On sundays I join my church service via YouTube and the speakers work fine. But, the headphones have no input from tv for either amazon now or YouTube on sundays. When I switch to direct tv or blu ray, they both work in the speakers and the headphones. So, external devices connected via hdmi work through both connections, but all smart apps only work via the hdmi-arc connection. Not happy about this.

0 Likes