Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Netflix sound not working on UE50NU7400 with digital output

(Topic created on: 20-04-2020 05:10 PM)
Alan2018
Journeyman
Options

I've had a Samsung Smart TV linked via an optical out cable to a Marantz CR610 hifi system for 4 years and everything worked OK, including Netflix.

The old TV gave up the ghost, so in September I bought a new Samsung UE50NU7400 4K TV, connecting it exactly the same way as the old TV.

The sound from the TV to the Marantz system works fine, just as before, whether the content comes direct from the TV or from the Sky box which.  The one probem is Netflix.  Netflix works fine through the TV speakers, but if I switch on the Marantz system the Netflix app carries on playing the picture, but no sound comes through the optical out cable to the Marantz system - we just get silence.

It appears to be a weird aspect of the Netflix app, but since it worked on the old Samsung TV it seems odd that it's stopped working on the new one.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

135 REPLIES 135
ChrisGarcia
Apprentice
Options
I purchased at BJs, posted my review there as well as at Amazon. Initiated a return request with BJs.
0 Likes
nicknothappy
Journeyman
Options

I have now left a review of the Samsung TV on Best buy, which is where I bought the telly from. I wonder if they will post it.

HarshaDatla
First Poster
Options

Hi Chris. I have a pioneer receiver too. It is a waste of time to fix the netflix issue on the samsung TV installed app. I have a amazon fire tv, to which I have Netflix installed and connected through pioneer to TV. This would work as an interim action, till the samsung or netflix fixes the issue. The sound system works fine through the firetv Netflix. Give a try, to source another way of watching netflix on your tv through someother external source apart from Samsung installed Netflix . Hope this helps.

0 Likes
nicknothappy
Journeyman
Options

Best buy actually posted the review...

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 15.50.55.png

0 Likes
DAT84
Apprentice
Options

We should all initiate Warranty claims on our TVs. Manufacturer defect. 

0 Likes
nicknothappy
Journeyman
Options
Note: Typo I am running 1356. Not 1359. My bad.
0 Likes
bdub
First Poster
Options

thank you all for posting.  i have been having the same issues with a tv i set up for a person with an older pioneer amp.  i talked with samsung first, and they squarely pointed the finger at netflix rather quickly... then netflix pretty much said it was a compatibility issue with the pioneer amp (which is an amp circa 2011, so not incredibly old Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver ). the samsung tv in question is a un65ru7100fxza.

here's the transcript of the talk i had with netflix on the 12th of march...

You: on a Samsung un65ru7100fxza 4k smart tv that is attached to a dolby atmos receiver,
ONLY the Netflix app (hulu and amazon apps sound fine) sends a weird popping sound to the receiver.
this is from the start of loading the Netflix app, so even before any movie gets loaded, it makes
this weird sound that doesn't go away. if we turn off the receiver, and play the sound thru the tv's
built in speakers, sound is fine. Andrie Netflix This means that the Netflix app may not be compatible with your Dolby atmos receiver Andrie Netflix Sorry i had to read your concern Andrie Netflix We dont have any settings on our end that can allow you to control or correct it You it's strange, because the first time we used Netflix on that tv, it seemed to be working, but now it has the
sound issue after about a week... here's another bit of information. there's a bd player attached to the same tv,
and Netflix works perfectly thru it. Andrie Netflix Well im looking at 2 possibilities Andrie Netflix One is something on the D atmos box got changed and thats why you are getting this issue now Andrie Netflix or its a possible compatibility issue Andrie Netflix Both of which we cannot check from our end since as i have mentioned we have no settings for it on our app Andrie Netflix Our system goes by what it detects automatically Andrie Netflix I wish i can give you more insight on this but its difficult to troubleshoot it if its working properly with other
devices You did I mention hulu and amazon, which originate form apps in the same tv as Netflix, work flawlessly?
is there any app update in the works that might fix this issue? Andrie Netflix But they are different apps You understood Andrie Netflix Im truly sorry i really wish i could help you find out whats wrong with it =( You ok, I understand. my question remains: might there be a Netflix app update in the works that fixes this issue? Andrie Netflix Good question Andrie Netflix We are constantly making updates to the app to make it compatible with as many devices as possible. You if I send you the make and model number of the receiver in question, might that help? Andrie Netflix I can definitely take note of it on your account and our team scans our chats regularly =) You well, it's not my account that has the problem, it is a customer's. Andrie Netflix Its okay we can still take note of it Andrie Netflix The account will just be a reference You give me a minute to find that make and model. Andrie Netflix Sure You the component in question is a Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver You and now that I think of it, when we first tested Netflix on the tv, the receiver WAS NOT attached,
so you are prolly right that this was a problem with compatibility with that receiver. Andrie Netflix What kind of cables do you use between the tv and the receiver? Andrie Netflix We might as well take note of it =) You an hdmi cable, I bought a newer one at least hdmi 2.0, maybe 1.4 Andrie Netflix Thank you You pretty sure it was 2.0, I can check if it matters Andrie Netflix We would appreciate it if you would You ok, hold on. Andrie Netflix Okay You hello? Andrie Netflix Hi there You hi, sorry, I cannot find the cable type I bought... but can you tell me, if I change to a newer hdmi cable,
then maybe Netflix sound will work? Andrie Netflix I cannot guarantee it but there are different HDMI cables and some work better than others Andrie Netflix i would recommend you test it first before buying it Andrie Netflix No sense in purchasing something you are not sure will work You right, I understand. I guess that's my next thing to try, either changing the cables around till it works,
or just getting a brand new one of the latest design to see if it fixes it. Andrie Netflix Do you need any other assistance from me? You that's it, I appreciate you helping me out.

the new 2.1 hdmi cable, of course, didn't do anything.  at the same time i installed the cable, i noticed a new firmware was available from samsung.  "thank goodness" i thought, thinking this is bound to fix the issue.  happily restarted the tv after installing 1356, but NO... audio problem just like the guy who posted the video earlier in this thread (i wasn't aware of this thread until today).

i have been writing pioneer (now onkyo) about the problem, and they were assuring me if i bought their vsx-934 amplifier, it would work with netflix... but that was before i questioned them about if they had tested it with this model samsung tv.  still waiting on their answer to that.  i would say they prolly haven't.

it's especially discouraging that both netflix and samsung did not come clean on this known issue back in the middle of march when i had the chats with their support.

let's all cross our fingers that they get their act together with the next firmware update.

0 Likes
Bsheff
First Poster
Options

I have the 65" q80 series. The HDMI arc output plays everything, but the optical out plays no apps. Netflix, amazon YouTube..etc. I bought a new headset system that takes optical as my older system was analog. I use my headset to keep things quiet in the morning but can't use it for any apps playing on Samsung tv. The directv and blu ray, which are connected to HDMI inputs play out of the optical output. It appears Samsung needs to get the audio that plays out of the HDMI arc output in parallel with the optical. Why they don't now seems a bit absurd and non technical. Particularly from a company that has produced such good products. Someone should be embarrassed.

0 Likes
ChrisGarcia
Apprentice
Options

Great feedback.  I don't doubt that the conflict exists between the tv and the receiver, but prior to installing the new Samsung tv, I had an older Samsung tv connected with the same exact setup and Netflix was not an issue (just swapped out the tv's).  My AV receiver is a Pioneer VSX-824.  The root cause lies with the new Samsung tv having some sort of compatibility issue.

Ultimately, where I come from, when you're sold a product for a particular purpose to be fulfilled and the manufacturer claims to be able to fulfill that purpose, but does not deliver, it is considered fraud.

0 Likes
Jimt1000
First Poster
Options

Any updates to report here?  My Netflix App still has no sound via my HDMI connected receiver (while the other Apps work fine). The only way to watch and listen to the Netflix App is by switching the sound setting to the TV speakers. Very frustrating. My other option is to install an Apple TV on the system and watch all the Apps thru Apple TV. I have this setup in another room and it works fine.  

0 Likes