Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Netflix sound not working on UE50NU7400 with digital output

(Topic created on: 06-03-2020 04:34 PM)
Alan2018
Journeyman
Options

I've had a Samsung Smart TV linked via an optical out cable to a Marantz CR610 hifi system for 4 years and everything worked OK, including Netflix.

The old TV gave up the ghost, so in September I bought a new Samsung UE50NU7400 4K TV, connecting it exactly the same way as the old TV.

The sound from the TV to the Marantz system works fine, just as before, whether the content comes direct from the TV or from the Sky box which.  The one probem is Netflix.  Netflix works fine through the TV speakers, but if I switch on the Marantz system the Netflix app carries on playing the picture, but no sound comes through the optical out cable to the Marantz system - we just get silence.

It appears to be a weird aspect of the Netflix app, but since it worked on the old Samsung TV it seems odd that it's stopped working on the new one.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

135 REPLIES 135
jensta
Explorer
Options
Thanks for that update. I think (hope) Netflix are aware and hopefully working on a resolution to this. If anyone on the thread has any update from the Netflix side, can you post!
Cornerz
Apprentice
Options

@Spider689 wrote:

I have contacted Samsung Support (Mar 6).

This started for me 2 weeks ago.

Short version, the problem is with the app (Netflix) which is not controlled by Samsung. Samsung just releases the update on Netflix's behalf. They recommended I contact Netflix with the issue.

Samsung RU8000 TV.

Yamaha RX-V585 receiver.

Netflix has provided at the end of Feb 2020 a software update that is causing PCM output sound issues with multiple Samsung TV models while plugged into various brand receivers.
As soon as the TV detects a device connected via HDMI that is Dolby Digital (Perhaps specifically  DDAtmos) compatible, the TV greys out most options under Sound Expert Settings, blocking PCM output, and forcing Dolby Digital +.
This problem is NOT found in other apps (YouTube, Disney+, etc.) it is ONLY while Netflix is running, and while the DDAtmos HDMI device is connected.

Good luck getting Netflix to care. They outright told me that they don't make the app, Samsung does. When I pressed the issue, I was asked if I can access Netflix on my other devices. When I said yes, their  reply was literally "is there anything else I can help you with today?"

0 Likes
nicknothappy
Journeyman
Options

Wow I am sooooo happy to find out that I am not the only person suffering from this issue. I have a Q60 with oldish AV amp attached via ARC HDMI and I also have the greyed out options and scrambled sound when watching Netflix. I have contacted Samsung 4 times, Each time I have been told to power cycle, reset the Samsung hub change my HDMI cables. Jump through hoops. I have wasted hours with them. I told them there must be other people suffering from this issue. I was told that It only seems to be me. Maybe it is my old AC amp. Anyway it appears Netflix and Samsung are aware of the problem.

0 Likes
Macstinator
Explorer
Options
This isn’t true. At all. I have 2 identical models. Both have the latest Netflix app. One has the 1352 firmware and doesn’t work. One has 1351 and does. This isn’t Netflix, as the Netflix app dates to Jan.
Eric_in_HK
Explorer
Options

Just wondering - how did you get the 1352 update? I have been trying to update my Samsung manually and via auto update, but no update to be found (I am in Hong Kong but that can hardly make a difference, I would think).

Anyway, sounds like it's the Netflix app not playing nicely with the Samsung software update 1351 and beyond. I have been switching to Optical whenever I use Netflix to get some sound out of it, which is obviously not very elegant.

0 Likes
nicknothappy
Journeyman
Options

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YsJDd6bbXrBExC7CA

Here is a video of my frustrations....

I think we are all having the same problem...

Don't judge me my wife watches that show...

Nick

jensta
Explorer
Options

I am inclined to agree with you that it is the Samsung update and not the Netflix app that we see on the TV but I've just had a thought to completely validate this. 

Just like we can all check what version of an app is on our phone, we should all check what version of Netflix is on our TV - if we all have the same version and we find out when that version update was released, we can narrow down whether it's the Netflix app on the TV or the Samsung 1352 update that broke our sound. 

At the moment we know 1352 was released at the end of Feb (I'll try and recall the exact date if I can) and seems to have caused the issue. Let's check the Netflix app version on the TV and try and find out when that was last released onto the Samsung.

If it was earlier, then 1352 broke the sound.

If it was later, Netflix broke the sound. 
 And if it was the same timeframe - then we will not know the answer 😞 

0 Likes
jensta
Explorer
Options

I've just read this after my last reply to someone else. You have validated what I suggested we do. Check the version of the Netflix app and try and see when that was released. If you are saying the Netflix app version hasn't changed across firmware updates, then totally agree that it's Samsung's issue. i don't understand why they are not taking accountability for this !!! 😞 

0 Likes
jensta
Explorer
Options

I've just had one more thought. We have only just purchased our new Samsung TV in January. I'm going to go and complain to the retailer about this and see if they can't also put some pressure on Samsung. A big retailer with customers complaining about the product they have bought doesn't help them so they might log the issue with Samsung as well. 

0 Likes
jensta
Explorer
Options

@Macstinator   - I'm a bit confused by your post now actually having read back through all the thread including my post from a week ago where everyone is talking about 1351 as being the issue, not 1352. 

It was 1351 that broke us all. So I'm wondering how you are working on 1351? That means the issue is not consistent.

0 Likes