Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Netflix sound not working on UE50NU7400 with digital output

(Topic created on: 18/02/20 00:20)
Alan2018
Apprentice
Options
TV

I've had a Samsung Smart TV linked via an optical out cable to a Marantz CR610 hifi system for 4 years and everything worked OK, including Netflix.

The old TV gave up the ghost, so in September I bought a new Samsung UE50NU7400 4K TV, connecting it exactly the same way as the old TV.

The sound from the TV to the Marantz system works fine, just as before, whether the content comes direct from the TV or from the Sky box which.  The one probem is Netflix.  Netflix works fine through the TV speakers, but if I switch on the Marantz system the Netflix app carries on playing the picture, but no sound comes through the optical out cable to the Marantz system - we just get silence.

It appears to be a weird aspect of the Netflix app, but since it worked on the old Samsung TV it seems odd that it's stopped working on the new one.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
Alan2018
Apprentice
Options
TV

I contacted Samsung support and they sent me this set of instructions.  Don't know which part worked, but by the end I was getting sound out through my Marantz system again when using the apps.  Initially I had to manually switch audio from TV to the Marantz system in the app, whereas I didn't just using the Sky box.  But then I turned the TV off and on again, and suddenly it switched automtaically again, just like my old TV.  So here's what they sent.

1. Plug in then power the TV and Marantz system on.

2. Set the function mode on the Marantz system depending on the optical connection that it has with the TV.

3. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Source', and choose 'TV'.

4. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Sound'. Select 'Sound Output' then set it to the 'Audio Out/Optical' or the option pertaining to the Marantz system.

5. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'General'. Select 'Network', choose 'Open Network Settings', and establish the network connection. Choose 'Network Status' then cancel the network authentication, select 'IP Settings', and choose 'IP Setting' then set it to 'Get Automatically'. Select 'DNS Setting' then set it to 'Enter Manually', enter '8.8.8.8', and reconnect the TV to the network.

6. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', choose 'Support', and select 'About This TV' then get the complete software version code.

7. Perform the Smart Hub reset.

7.1. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Support'. Select 'Self Diagnosis', choose 'Reset Smart Hub', and enter your 4-digit PIN (Default PIN: 0000). Finish the Smart Hub setup.

8. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Apps', and search for the Netflix and Amazon apps. Download each app then check the 'Settings' option to confirm the audio format and sound settings.

9. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Sound'. Select 'Expert Settings', choose 'Digital Output Audio Format', and set it to the appropriate format. If you use a receiver that does not support Dolby Digital Plus, you will hear no sound if you select Dolby Digital+.

10. Play a content to check the sound quality.

View solution in context

133 REPLIES 133
JanJan1
First Poster
Options
TV

Hello,

I have the same issue. Same television but with a Yamaha receiver from january 2017. It worked fine on my Sony Smart 4K tv but not on samsung. The helpdesk of Samsung could not help me. Youtube works via the audio receiver 

Grtz

Solution
Alan2018
Apprentice
Options
TV

I contacted Samsung support and they sent me this set of instructions.  Don't know which part worked, but by the end I was getting sound out through my Marantz system again when using the apps.  Initially I had to manually switch audio from TV to the Marantz system in the app, whereas I didn't just using the Sky box.  But then I turned the TV off and on again, and suddenly it switched automtaically again, just like my old TV.  So here's what they sent.

1. Plug in then power the TV and Marantz system on.

2. Set the function mode on the Marantz system depending on the optical connection that it has with the TV.

3. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Source', and choose 'TV'.

4. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Sound'. Select 'Sound Output' then set it to the 'Audio Out/Optical' or the option pertaining to the Marantz system.

5. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'General'. Select 'Network', choose 'Open Network Settings', and establish the network connection. Choose 'Network Status' then cancel the network authentication, select 'IP Settings', and choose 'IP Setting' then set it to 'Get Automatically'. Select 'DNS Setting' then set it to 'Enter Manually', enter '8.8.8.8', and reconnect the TV to the network.

6. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', choose 'Support', and select 'About This TV' then get the complete software version code.

7. Perform the Smart Hub reset.

7.1. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Support'. Select 'Self Diagnosis', choose 'Reset Smart Hub', and enter your 4-digit PIN (Default PIN: 0000). Finish the Smart Hub setup.

8. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Apps', and search for the Netflix and Amazon apps. Download each app then check the 'Settings' option to confirm the audio format and sound settings.

9. Press the 'Home' button on the TV remote, select 'Settings', and choose 'Sound'. Select 'Expert Settings', choose 'Digital Output Audio Format', and set it to the appropriate format. If you use a receiver that does not support Dolby Digital Plus, you will hear no sound if you select Dolby Digital+.

10. Play a content to check the sound quality.

View solution in context

Sirgord
Options
TV

In sound settings, expert settings, turn off dolby digital.

0 Likes
edelml
First Poster
Options
TV

I had the same problem, I did the following steps.
I start Netflix and played something and with the video playing I pressed the Setting button in the remote control and then Sound > Expert Settings > Digital Audio Output Format, and here I changed Dolby Digital to PCM and the sound started.

punt1
Options
TV

This solution worked for me too.  Simple and clear.  My menu settings were slightly different but the key was to go into streaming mode and go to your sound settings to change Dolby to PCM.  I had already made the change in broadcast TV mode.  I thought the sound settings would be global, but they are different. Thanks for the easy fix!

sloth70
First Poster
Options
TV

Worked for me.

0 Likes
sirdir
Apprentice
Options
TV

only problem is, while in the netflix app, I can't change the sound format at all. geyed out and stuck to dolby digital +

0 Likes
Joel_Norrkoping
First Poster
Options
TV

@sirdir wrote:

only problem is, while in the netflix app, I can't change the sound format at all. geyed out and stuck to dolby digital +

Same here. I have a q90r and I think it is because the 1351 update.

I have been in contact with samsung 7 times but they cant help me.

0 Likes
Marco345
Options
TV

Samen problem here. I use an Q85r and cannot change the sound in netflix from Dolby digital+ to Dolby digital because it is greyed out. The sound coming from my av receiver is a scrambled mess. 

0 Likes
Macstinator
Explorer
Options
TV

This is the 1351 update. Totally shafted my Netflix to the point where I can't play it through the receiver. I get a stuttering constant noise. 

Joel_Norrkoping
First Poster
Options
TV

The only way i can get optical PCM to work on netflix is to disconnect all HDMI cables. Maybe it has something to do with HDCP?

0 Likes
sirdir
Apprentice
Options
TV

That would be bad, as I get the sound via HDMI ARC. No optical connection. 

Until recently it worked. Well, had the problem once before, but was able to change from dolby digital+ to digital.. or don't know what I did exactly. 

0 Likes
Macstinator
Explorer
Options
TV
It must be an ARC/HDCP issue, peculiar to netflix, related to the 1351.3 update. unplug/plug hdmi and I have the option to change audio, which works for a few brief moments until the TV overrides.
0 Likes
Panza86
First Poster
Options
TV

yes, same prob with me - FEb 2020 - going to call samung today

have you had any luck? my issue just started this year with the new update 1531.3

0 Likes
Eric_in_HK
Explorer
Options
TV

Same issue for me. The Digital Output Audio Format is greyed out for some reason and set to Dolby Digital+ when using Netflix app. (My Denon AV can only process Dolby Digital or PCM, but I can't change the format anymore). This must be related to some firmware upgrade since it worked perfectly fine until a few days ago. I connnected my Denon to my Q70 via HDMI ARC.

I am not getting any traction here with Samsung in Hong Kong, so perhaps someone in a different geography has more luck to get their customer service to acknoweldge the issue and work on a resolution.

0 Likes
AnderMay
Options
TV

Same issue here! everything worked great until a few days ago. No sound from Netflix and also can't change the Audio Format.  I have my Q60 connected to my Onkyo via HDMI ARC. This solution didnt worked for me

0 Likes
Eric_in_HK
Explorer
Options
TV

(Reposting this here, since there are three threads that appear to refer to the same issue.)

Just chatted with Netflix customer service describing my issue and also referring to the community chats here. They told me that the issue has been escalated to their technical team and that they're working on it (but they also cautioned that it might take days or weeks to get resolved). Given I only have the issue with Netflix (all my other apps work fine) it probably needs to be resolved on their side.

0 Likes
Toiffel
Explorer
Options
TV

I have spoken several times with tech support, I even had a tech leave my house a couple minutes ago, and the issue is still present, my current setup:

TV  Q70R 

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

they are connected via HDMI/ARC 

PS4 connected to Pioneer

Until software update everything worked fine, after software:

Nextflix: produces static noise via the Pioneer Elite, and it's stuck in Dolby +, cannot change it

app will work normally when receiver not used (and this is because HMDI/ARC is not being used)

PS4: I get a HDMI source not connected (because it's using HDMI/ARC)

Yes, I know the work arounds, but that's not the point, everyone at Samsung seems to believe that it's just easier to blame Netflix or in my case the receiver, yes the fix is simple downgrade firmware but that's impossible according to Samsung, or their fix is not to use HDMI/ARC, but it's definately not a problem with the firmware, really ?? And to top it off it seems that no Samsung rep even takes the time to check in here, they would have figured out yes, firmware updated messed things up, just take responsibility and fix it.

Cornerz
Apprentice
Options
TV

Same problem here. 55RU8000 with a Denon 1713 amp.  Three hours of tech support and no solution. 

0 Likes
jensta
Explorer
Options
TV

Exactly the same issue for me. Our Q75R must have updated to 1351 overnight as last night we watched Netflix no problems and tonight there is no sound. I've looked at the Sound settings like others have on this thread and same issue - can not select PCM. This is really poor on Samsung's part not to test this before releasing their update! 

Bullant
First Poster
Options
TV

Just came here to say I have the same problem since recent fw update.

I have a Yamaha AVR connected via HDMI ARC to my Q60R, and I used to have DD+ working perfectly from all apps, but now I get silence from Netflix. I have managed a couple of times to get audio by flipping between other apps and back to Netflix, but it seems now to be constantly stuck at not working.

Come on Samsung, you broke this with your fw update, please fix it!

0 Likes