Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple issues with QN90C

(Topic created on: 23-09-2023 11:17 PM)
snerkler
Explorer
Options

I started a thread earlier on another forum about some issues I’m having with my QN90C that arrived today (see here) but I’ve since experienced several other issues. 

The first issue is when watching Sky Q every now and then the picture will go funny. I’m not sure quite how to describe it, it’s kind of juddery but it also kind of reminds me of the strobe effect you used to get in nightclubs but much finer and it doesn’t flash. The ‘artefact’ only lasts a second or so and is very randomly intermittent. I used to get a similar issue if I had judder turned on in the motion settings on my old Q9FN, but all motion settings are off on the QN90C. 

The next issue is every now and again the picture will ‘jump’ as though it’s missed a frame or two, this happens far less than the issue just mentioned. 

The next issue is when changing picture settings, despite having all sources checked the picture settings don’t change for each source. For example I can be watching ITV on Sky Q, change something in the pictures settings then go to Sky Sports and the setting hasn’t changed for this channel, the same thing happens if I watch Netflix or Disney. 

Lastly since getting this TV Sky keeps changing from 2160p to 1080i all by itself, AFAIK this has never happened before. I don’t know whether this has any bearing on the first two issues above. 

Does anyone know what’s causing all these issues please? I’d like to keep this TV if possible but if I can’t solve these issues I’ll have to return it and look at an alternative. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
The first issue with the weird strobe things. Ive had it was the connection between sky and the tv. The tv having problems with 10bit colour from sky. Found a decent hdmi 2.1 cable and it helped no end. This may be same issue as your third question
The picture jumping if its using sky its likely to be wifi related.
G G
0 Likes
snerkler
Explorer
Options

Thanks, what I’ve discovered this morning is that the weird strobe thing is likely to be a deinterlacing issue as I tried a recording where I noticed it and when sky was set to 1080i it caused the effect, when set to 2160p the issue wasn’t present. It also cured the ‘tearing’ of the text in the sky menus that I linked to. The problem is how do I stop sky from defaulting back to 1080i every time I turn the TV on? All my cables are HDMI 2.1

Why would Wi-Fi affect the TV signal when it’s recorded from Sky?

0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
When you go to the sky menu to set 10bit ect try the find for me option instead of choosing the option yourself.
Sorry i thought you ment streaming services through sky box. You could try in my preferences in the sky box and turning on the judder reduction option.
G G
0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
Sorry if im just spit balling
G G
0 Likes
snerkler
Explorer
Options

Thanks, I've tried both letting sky find the correct bit, and also done it by selecting 10 bit manually but it can still default back to 1080i from time to time. 

I've read on a sky forum that it can be due to Sky Q not recognising the TV as 4k and defaulting (for some reason it defaults as 1080i rather than 1080p). A solution suggested is to make sure the TV is turned on before turning Sky Q on. I've not tried this yet, but tbh it'd be a pain as I don't always turn sky off, and I can't just glance to see if it's on or off as it's in a cupboard. Ideally I'd like it if I could set it up so that the Samsung remote also powered Sky Q on/off too and then hopefully that would 'solve' the issue. 

I'm not sure what spit balling is, not a term I've heard of in the UK.

0 Likes