Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion judder when switching from HDR mode to a "normal" mode.

(Topic created on: 07-06-2020 02:29 PM)
smp1
Explorer
Options

TV: UE40NU7100

Firmware ver.: 1294

I noticed an issue which may have something to do with "Auto Motion Plus" video processing feature.

"Auto Motion Plus" can cause motion artefacts that are noticeable with fast motion programmes like sports, so I always keep it disabled.

The issue:

I noticed judder on some sports programmes when switching from a HDR 24p material to a normal 50p TV broadcast. It is the same judder that happen when "Auto Motion Plus" is enabled. 

I did some testing and here's what I found out:

No issue atrer TV has just been turned on.

The issue only occur in Standard and Movie picture modes.

The issue only occur after watching any HDR 4K 24Hz video.  It would appear that when I switch from HDR mode back to normal mode - the "Auto Motion Plus" gets silently re-enabled (but it is still appear as "off" in Expert Settings menu).

Workarounds:

The judder goes away if:

- The TV is power cycled.

- Dynamic or Natural picture modes are used.

- Game Mode is used

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @smp1 ,

let's have a look into this. Are you able to tell me if you have any external devices connected to the TV all the time or if you connect and disconnect these? Are these programmes being played from the aerial or an external source or app? 

0 Likes
smp1
Explorer
Options

I can reproduce the issue with TV's internal player as well as external HDMI sources.

I recorded a sample video of the tennis match (1080i 50Hz). The issue can be easily reproduced with it.

1. Set the TV's "Picture Mode" to "Movie". In "Expert Settings" set "Auto Motion Plus Settings" to "Off" (for both HDR and non-HDR sources).

2. Play any HDR 24p video for any period of time (with an internal player or via external HDMI source). It is important that the HDR video is 23.976 or 24 Hz (I cannot reproduce the issue with 50/60 fps HDR videos). Sample 24p HDR video.

3. Then play my sample 1080i 50Hz video (with an internal player or via external HDMI source).

It will start to play normally. The issue will occur at 00:40 when the "Winline" banner shows up near the bottom of the video. You should notice that the movement of the tennis ball and players start to be somewhat jerky (TV's unwanted processing kicked in). At 00:57 the jerkiness goes away, the motion is normal again.

Now if you power cycle the TV and play the tennis video again - it will play with no issues. 

0 Likes
smp1
Explorer
Options
It's a quite obvious firmware issue, so I'm wondering what's the best way to report this to Samsung so there is a chance this will be fixed in a firmware update? I suppose reporting it here is quite useless?
0 Likes